cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to locate a Wifi Invalid channel interferer?

pmovrich1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just recently enabled some additional e-mail alerting from my cisco WLC. Since enabling them i've been receiving constant alerts about a  interferer 'WiFi Invalid Channel' being detected and then clearing.

the full message is

Security-risk Interferer 'WiFi Invalid Channel' is detected by 'WAP'.Interferer severity is '2'.

i've done some research on what this is, which from my understanding is either a non-wifi device or wifi device that is transmitting just off center of a standard wifi channel.
However, i could not find anything on how to track down or locate these devices. any insight on how to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is happening is that the ap has detected "something" using a non standard channel.  For example, maybe channel 12 on the 2.4ghz.  Take a look at the RF with a spectrum and see if you see non standard channels being used. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We have a few blue tooth devices in that area, i'm wondering if that AP is picking it up as  the interferer.

any idea if that is possible?

Bluetooth would be detected as Bluetooth to be honest. I don't think that is the case. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card