cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to manually update software on COS AP ???

Does anyone know how to manually update the software of a COS AP ?

We have a 1562 that has a known bug where it does not know how to respond to a capwap join from the WLC.

So I thought : "let me just manually update that". ... *sigh*.

I kind of knew that it is a problem on the IOS APs to get it "not to reload", but that option does not seem to be "honored" by COS APs.

"debug capwap client no-reload" does not return an error, but after a while, it writes something about that it reloads (and: .Good luck).

So my question is.

What is the proper procedure to upgrade a COS AP manually (because I cant seem to find it anywhere), and is there a way to disable all the output on the console from CAPWAP - because it spams the console a lot.

/Thomas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"Classic" IOS-based AP (1700/2700/3700 and older) was easy to update the firmware even when not connected to a WLC.
With the new generation of APs, Cisco has made it terribly impossible to do without TAC assistance.
The only way to get around this is to raise a TAC Case and get TAC to do it for you. Please prepare about 45 minutes for the firmware to get transferred.
Alternatively, if you have a large quantity of APs then organize for an RMA.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The command you will need is:

debug capwap console cli

...this will allow you to access the copy command and upgrade the AP via the normal methods instead of the official MODE-button-TFTP broadcast method the documentation suggests.

Note sure about getting rid of the log messages, but just type all the commands you need into a text editor and paste them in all at once onto the CLI.

cheers,

Seb.

Hmmm I thought debug capwap con cli was exclusive for IOS APs ...

Ill try it.

/Thomas

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"Classic" IOS-based AP (1700/2700/3700 and older) was easy to update the firmware even when not connected to a WLC.
With the new generation of APs, Cisco has made it terribly impossible to do without TAC assistance.
The only way to get around this is to raise a TAC Case and get TAC to do it for you. Please prepare about 45 minutes for the firmware to get transferred.
Alternatively, if you have a large quantity of APs then organize for an RMA.

Yep, this is almost also my conclusion.

Thanks.

I'm rather new to Wireless. however, I keep learning new stuff every day. And I'm quite amazed by the fact that the amount of vast knowledge one has to have in order to play around with these different APs.

I have an AP 1702I which I'm struggling to upgrade the software. The command "debug capwap console cli" is not working.. Does this mean the only way to upgrade the software is through 'mode button'? Where the APs looks for the 'default' image? Or like u have mentioned, is raising a TAC case is the only way?

Hi, I was also struggling with upgrading these images and receiving lots of failures and TAC advised not to use HTTP but only TFTP and follow the upgrade path 8.0 - 8.2 - 8.3 - 8.5 - 8.10 and this has worked for mo so far.

Regards, Gavin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card