Views
Helpful
Replies

How to migrate mesh APs to new WLC

n-yao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need to migrate about 50 mesh APs to a new WLC. Both the existing WLC and the new WLC are running the same code (8.3). What's the best practice to do so?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Okay, so we jumped too far ahead. Your question is, “how can I configure the new controller so that I can migrate exiting wireless access points?”
The easiest way I have done this is to backup the co fig if the current controller, edit the file to change the hostname, IP address for management and dynamic interfaces, then upload that config to the new controller. You need the new controller to be online and running. Then you need to create the mobility between the existing and the old. Go through the UI and verify that everything is properly configured. I usually will take a backup of the existing and then the new and run it through a diff tool. I use Meld on both Windows and Mac. Then you can review and see what lines might be missing and then just manually add those line items. Once you are happy, then you can follow my other post and test by migrating a single RAP and then go from there.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You would migrate them just the same as any local mode or flexconnect mode ap's. You have the same code on each controller, so what I would do first is make sure mobility and rf groups are the same. Then you would only test with one RAP by setting the high availability to point the primary to the new controller and the secondary to the existing. Make sure you enter the controller hostname properly as that is case sensitive. Once that MAP moves, test and verify that everything is working and then figure out how you want to move the rest.
-Scott

Hi Scott,

Does it mean that mesh APs will carry the existing configuration to the new WLC? My real question is how to make sure the existing configurations for mesh APs are copied to the new WLC.

Thanks,

Okay, so we jumped too far ahead. Your question is, “how can I configure the new controller so that I can migrate exiting wireless access points?”
The easiest way I have done this is to backup the co fig if the current controller, edit the file to change the hostname, IP address for management and dynamic interfaces, then upload that config to the new controller. You need the new controller to be online and running. Then you need to create the mobility between the existing and the old. Go through the UI and verify that everything is properly configured. I usually will take a backup of the existing and then the new and run it through a diff tool. I use Meld on both Windows and Mac. Then you can review and see what lines might be missing and then just manually add those line items. Once you are happy, then you can follow my other post and test by migrating a single RAP and then go from there.
-Scott

Thanks Scott.

Hey Scott,

Good advice and sorry to jump in here. I also have same challenge i have to migrate to new 9800 controller. There is no mobility group set up between controllers. The MESH has 3 RAPS 6 MAPS and wondering if i move one RAP to the New Controller will the MAP try to Mesh with the new migrated RAP before i re-point their controller address?

cheers

There is mobility between the AireOS and IOS-XE controllers. You just need to make sure your AireOS is on once of the supported version in the guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_c9800_wireless_controller-aireos_ircm_dg.html <>

The first thing I would do is make sure your profiles/tags are configured the way you want and working. So if you have extra equipment, that is better, or else you will have to look for a RAP and a MAP for your testing.
-Scott

So i have two 1572i set up on old controller in a MESH and i pushed the MESH ap over to the new Controller and to my surprise it also took the RAP with it.

Both AP showed up on new controller in Bridge mode.. then just needed to assign the correct tags. 

Yes, make sure everything is defined and tested before you migrate any other RAP’s... just in case:)
-Scott

Just to update this Thread on my finding and testing

TEST CASE #1

ONE RAP and ONE MAP in a MESH

1. Moved the MAP to the new controller via the "Primary Controller" config in the gui. This also moved the RAP
to the new Controller and upgraded both AP's.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEST CASE #2
ONE RAP and TWO MAP in a MESH

(Cisco Controller) >show mesh ap summary
L3-TEST-RAP01 AIR-AP1562I-Z-K9 10:b3:d6:64:7b:48 11:22:33:44:55:66 0 default N/A
L3-TEST-MAP01 AIR-AP1562I-Z-K9 10:b3:d6:64:7c:48 11:22:33:44:55:66 1 default N/A
L3-TEST-MAP02 AIR-AP1562I-Z-K9 74:88:bb:1d:cb:a0 11:22:33:44:55:66 1 default N/A

[Sector 2]
----------
L3-TEST-RAP01[0,0,default,(100,104),None,1%,0]
|-L3-TEST-MAP01[1,61,default,(100,104),None,1%,3]
|-L3-TEST-MAP02[1,55,default,(100,104),None,0%,3]

Moved the MAP02 to the new controller via the "Primary Controller" config in the gui. This MAP was not connected via ethernet cable.
It showed up on the new Controller as a MESH AP connecting back via the RAP on another controller.
It still got an IP and found the new controller address. :)

(Cisco Controller) >show mesh neigh summary L3-TEST-RAP01

AP Name/Radio Channel Rate Link-Snr Flags State
----------------- ------- ---- -------- ----- -----

74:88:BB:1D:CB:A0 100 auto 57 0x141 UPDATED CHILD <---showing up as Neighbour...
L3-TEST-MAP01 100 auto 62 0x141 UPDATED CHILD

(Cisco Controller) >show mesh ap summary <--BUT not part of the old MESH

AP Name AP Model BVI MAC CERT MAC Hop Bridge Group Name Enhanced Feature Set
------------------ ------------------- ----------------- ------------------ --- ----------------- --------------------
L3-TEST-RAP01 AIR-AP1562I-Z-K9 10:b3:d6:64:7b:48 11:22:33:44:55:66 0 default N/A
L3-TEST-MAP01 AIR-AP1562I-Z-K9 10:b3:d6:64:7c:48 11:22:33:44:55:66 1 default N/A

TEST CASE #3
ONE RAP and TWO MAP in a MESH

Moved the RAP over to the new Controller the original MAPS statyed on the old Controller and connected back via the migrated RAP.

(Cisco Controller) >show mesh ap summary

AP Name AP Model BVI MAC CERT MAC Hop Bridge Group Name Enhanced Feature Set
------------------ ------------------- ----------------- ------------------ --- ----------------- --------------------
L3-TEST-MAP02 AIR-AP1562I-Z-K9 74:88:bb:1d:cb:a0 11:22:33:44:55:66 1 default N/A

[Sector 2]
----------
10b3d6647b48 ** <-- Controller dosent know what AP this is
|-L3-TEST-MAP01[1,61,default,(100,104),None,3%,1]
|-L3-TEST-MAP02[1,56,default,(100,104),None,3%,7]

Well at least you have a few test scenarios completed so you have a better understanding of “what happens”. It’s the best way to learn. Good job.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card