cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to understand the following sentence?

ISSU is supported only within and between major releases, for example, 17.3.x to 17.3.y, 17.6.x to 17.6.y (within a major release) and 17.3.x to 17.6.x, 17.3.x to 17.9.x (among major releases), that is, for two releases after the current supported release. ISSU is NOT supported within and between minor releases or between minor and major releases, for example 17.4.x to 17.4.y or 17.4.x to 17.5.x or 17.3.x to 17.4.x.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-2/config-guide/b_wl_17_2_cg/in_service_software_upgrade.html#id_128298

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

@Rps-Cheers wrote:

It's hard to understand

There is a "Feedback" option.  Put your comments in.  

All I can say is:  ISSU and FSU/eFSU, is not "worth it".  

I do not want to be the developer's "guinea pig".  If they do not want to test ISSU/FSU/eFSU on their own, then I sure wouldn't either.  

View solution in original post

Rich R
VIP
VIP

As to the original question I think it's self explanatory - which part don't you understand?

1. It is only supported in the extended support releases 17.3, 17.6, 17.9

2. You can only use it to go from within one of those releases to another dot release of that version eg. 17.3.1 to 17.3.3 or between those releases eg. 17.3.1 to 17.6.1

3. It's only supported up to 2 releases later eg 17.3.1 to 17.9.1 = supported but 17.3.1 to 17.12.1 not supported because that's 3 releases later but 17.6.1 to 17.12.1 would be supported.

But if you going to use ISSU then read the release notes very carefully and test thoroughly (to make sure it works with your network and configuration) then use at your own risk.  As others have said it can often cause more problems than it solves.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My take:  Do not make any attempt to use ISSU or FSU/eFSU -- It only works in "corner cases" or in a lab.  

Hahaha, I also feel the same way, but I still can't understand what the Cisco documentation says about the ISSU upgrade method. It's hard to understand, although we basically don't use ISSU.

ISSU works well, if no config or plain system - not in production. production always tricky as per the many users (myself failed and not really tested in real production my point of view).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Although I haven't tried ISSU, it doesn't seem to be suitable for production .

yes i would advise not to take chance, until you want to help for Cisco for testing by doing volunteering.!

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@Rps-Cheers wrote:

It's hard to understand

There is a "Feedback" option.  Put your comments in.  

All I can say is:  ISSU and FSU/eFSU, is not "worth it".  

I do not want to be the developer's "guinea pig".  If they do not want to test ISSU/FSU/eFSU on their own, then I sure wouldn't either.  

great idea, thanks for your reply

Rich R
VIP
VIP

As to the original question I think it's self explanatory - which part don't you understand?

1. It is only supported in the extended support releases 17.3, 17.6, 17.9

2. You can only use it to go from within one of those releases to another dot release of that version eg. 17.3.1 to 17.3.3 or between those releases eg. 17.3.1 to 17.6.1

3. It's only supported up to 2 releases later eg 17.3.1 to 17.9.1 = supported but 17.3.1 to 17.12.1 not supported because that's 3 releases later but 17.6.1 to 17.12.1 would be supported.

But if you going to use ISSU then read the release notes very carefully and test thoroughly (to make sure it works with your network and configuration) then use at your own risk.  As others have said it can often cause more problems than it solves.

@Rich RThanks for you explanation

From what you've said, it's really clear.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card