cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HREAP IP changes on static assignment

jmacvane1
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently converted to HREAP. The AP's have IP's statically assigned. On occasion the AP will pick up another IP in the same IP range. There is no DHCP pool. Anyone experienced this?

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would make sure there is no dhcp being served on a server or on the switches.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Just to add... If an ap has a static and fails to join an access point in a specified time, the access points will default to dhcp.  So if you see the ap's with a different ip address, I would connect a laptop to that vlan and see if that laptop does indeed get an ip address.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi, is there any way to change this behavior? I want the AP to keep its static IP e.g. during maintenance periods, and not switch to DHCP. I would appreciate your feedback on this!

few options, not sure is it possibel or not in your environment

1. Move AP management IP to a subnet where you do not enable DHCP (& keep static IP in AP)

2. If it has to be in a DHCP subnet, reserve a IP address to this AP ethernet MAC address (in this case AP try to renew IP but still will get the same IP)

I would prefer option 1 if that possible

HTH

Rasika

Thanks for the reply. I already took those into considerartion, but none of these options are possible. The customer does not want static reservations. I just thought there might be a way to disable the behavior on the AP itself, so that it just keeps its static IP.

Since AP is controlled by  a WLC, whatever the local configuration (even if there is a way to do it on AP- I doubt) done on a H-REAP ap cannot be saved permenently, if it reloads all those configuration will be gone.

Keep that in mind..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: