Views
Helpful
Replies

I need to convert a Cisco AIR-CAP2702I-E-K9 to an autonomous AP for surveys

Villian123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Ive ben sent a Cisco AIR-CAP2702I-E-K9 which is a controller based AP and need an autonomous AP for performing a survey with next week, can anyone help me to convert this AP from controller based to autonomous - please.

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Paul,

1) If  the AP is UP on a WLC.. then it already has an IP address. Check "show ip int b".

If the AP is not UP on a WLC, then assign an IP address to the BVI..

(AP)# debug capwap console cli

(Ap)#config t

(Ap)(config)# int bvI 1

(AP)(config-if)# ip address  <IP>  <MASK>

Then, make sure you can ping the tftp server.

2) It is always the image that you want to go to.

So get the Autonomous image if you want to go from Lightweight to Autonomous.

3) You may need to open a TAC SR to have the engineer publish the image to your CCO ID.

Thanks

Victor

Regards Victor V *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as *****Answered"*****

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello Paul,

Please refer the below links which can take you through the basic configuration and conversion steps.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/61936/autonomous-ap-and-bridge-basic-configuration-template

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-0/configuration-guide/b_cg80/b_cg80_chapter_01101010.html#wp160918

Prakash

Thanks for your help, the AP config document is very good - however, the other link is to convert an autonomous AP to a light weight AP and Ineed it the other way round

Lightweight to Autonomous

Paul

Hi Paul,

All  you need is ...

a) Image ( k9w7 for autonomous  OR  k9w8 for lightweight. )

b) A tftp server.

c) The AP's  serial Console access.

d) IP reach-ability between AP and the TFTP server.

Then, use the following command:

(AP)# archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite  tftp://<IP Address>/ <image-name>

Example:

(AP)# archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite  tftp://192.1688.200.14/ap3g2-k9w7-tar.153-3.JBB.tar

Software( both autonomous and lightweight) is available in the following area:

( PFA the screenshot )

https://software.cisco.com/download/type.html?mdfid=286256843&flowid=50363

Regards Victor V *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as *****Answered"*****

Victor

Thanks for your advice, there are a few things I'm still unsure of.

As its a controller based AP, how do I give it an IP address in order for it to look for my tftp server to locate the IOS.

I have a lightweight AP, so which IOS do I download - the Autonomous (because I want to convert my lightweight AP to an Autonomous AP) or the lightweight IOS becasue I have a lightweight AP..........confused :-(

Is there anywhere else I could get a copy of the IOS as my comapny doesnt have a service agreement at the moment for this AP.

Paul

Hello Paul,

1) If  the AP is UP on a WLC.. then it already has an IP address. Check "show ip int b".

If the AP is not UP on a WLC, then assign an IP address to the BVI..

(AP)# debug capwap console cli

(Ap)#config t

(Ap)(config)# int bvI 1

(AP)(config-if)# ip address  <IP>  <MASK>

Then, make sure you can ping the tftp server.

2) It is always the image that you want to go to.

So get the Autonomous image if you want to go from Lightweight to Autonomous.

3) You may need to open a TAC SR to have the engineer publish the image to your CCO ID.

Thanks

Victor

Victor

I tried to get the IP address by doing a sh ip int bvi 1 and it comesup with a broadcast assdress of 255.255.255.255 - I presumed it would be a default address of 10.0.0.1 or 10 /24 but it isnt - how can I put an IP address on the BVI 1 interface ?  It is a brand new AP out of the box, not attached to a controller.

You're a superstar - thanks for your help.

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: