Views
Helpful
Replies

I purchased an 8865 IP Phone but it doesn't provision

RoqueBarralaga
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community!

I recently purchased an 8865 IP Phone to use it with my Vonage phone service as a remote worker. I followed all Vonage's activation steps but it never provisions, a "cannot access this page" message is being displayed.

I've tried all troubleshooting steps provided but the device doesn't run.

As fas as I know, this device is Multiplatform and it should work with no problems. 

Can anyone help me to try to figure out if the software is the correct one or if I need to have a specific network setup at home to make it work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RoqueBarralaga
Level 1
Level 1

@Leo Laohoo I'm shocked with your knowledge! 

Option 1: My technical skills are not too high, I'm just a user so if I can get any help with this option would be great.

Option 2: I'm located in Honduras, the seller is in the U.S. and, according to him, this device should be MPP/3PCC but now we know it isn't. Sending the phone back won't be an option at the moment.

Option 3: would be the same as option 1, help will be really needed if I do this. We decided to go with Cisco because this is a brand I know (I worked in the Call Center industry for many years) and I thought setup should be simple.

Option 4: that would be my last resort considering I already spent $200 on the device + injector to power it up.

Going back to Option 1 and 3: Is this something you can do?

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

It seems to be a config file you are trying to access. Are you sure you should try this on the web browser?

What is 192.168.3.94 ?

RoqueBarralaga
Level 1
Level 1

@Flavio Miranda the 192.168.3.94 is the IP address my router gives to the device. For me to provision the device I need to provide it to Vonage along with an activation link, after that the dive should reboot but it never does it. 

But then this Vonage solution is trying to apply this config to your phone. Is this Vonage solution on the internet?  Does it has connectivity with your phone?   You can see that I dont know nothing about Vonage, I am just brain storming here trying to help. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the phone running 3PCC/MPP image or Enterprise image?

RoqueBarralaga
Level 1
Level 1

@Flavio Miranda Yes, the Vonage solution is on the internet. They provide the link and the provisioning, I also contacted my ISP to check if they have any ports closed on my ONU, nothing is blocked on their end.

@Leo Laohoo It's supposed to be MPP but I cannot find anything on the device. I attached some pictures on this reply, can you let me know if you see it there?

P.D. I'm barely in tears, you've been so supportive!

@RoqueBarralaga wrote:

P.D. I'm barely in tears

I saw the picture and the phone came with Enterprise image.  

Ok, I have some tough questions to ask.  There are four choices so choose wisely:

1. Pay "mo money" to convert the phone from Enterprise image to 3PCC/MPP image. 
  2. Return the phone to the vendor and ask them, politely, if they can send a phone with 3PCC/MPP image. 
  3. Continue to "provision" or configure the phone to register with the VSP with Enterprise image.  
  4. Get a different brand.  

Let me go through them with an explanation. 

OPTION 1:  

The license to convert the phone is "L-CP-E2M-88XX-CNV" and the "place" to convert the phone is Cisco Cloud Upgrader.  Converting the from one image to another is meant to be "straightforward" and results are a mixed bag:  Sometimes it works flawless and sometimes people just want to cry themselves to sleep.  

OPTION 2:  

Exercise this option only when Option 1 fails but this is, by far, the easiest of the lot.  

OPTION 4:  

Depends on how technical the person is.  If the person is not technical and cannot find anyone who is, this option is "it".  

And then there is Option 3: 

It is widely-known officially, that Cisco Enterprise-image can only be used to register a phone to a Cisco-branded UCM.  (People want to be seen using "Cisco" branded phone as a sign of "prestige" and this is why Cisco has come up with the 3PCC/MPP firmware.)  Unofficially, there is a growing number of people who have been able to successfully integrate Cisco-branded phones (68XX, 69XX, 79XX, 88XX and 99XX) to non-Cisco branded UCM like 3CX and Asterisk based.  It can be done but it will take some "effort" (and maybe some hairs or some choice "swear words") involved.  It can be done.  Proof?  I have two 9971 (including cameras), 7945 and 7970 registered to an Asterisk server hosted by a Raspberry Pi.  

NOTE:  I picked Cisco for my home phone because I know just how difficult it is to integrate.  If I put this into my CV and someone "in the know" reads it ... 

For Option 3, prepare the following: 

1. A known working SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml configuration file
  2. Enterprise image firmware of the phone (ZIP extension)
  3. Dialing plan file
  4. TFTP server to put all the files (1, 2 & 3) in. 
  5. Disable NAT
  6. Disable SIP ALG

RoqueBarralaga
Level 1
Level 1

@Leo Laohoo I'm shocked with your knowledge! 

Option 1: My technical skills are not too high, I'm just a user so if I can get any help with this option would be great.

Option 2: I'm located in Honduras, the seller is in the U.S. and, according to him, this device should be MPP/3PCC but now we know it isn't. Sending the phone back won't be an option at the moment.

Option 3: would be the same as option 1, help will be really needed if I do this. We decided to go with Cisco because this is a brand I know (I worked in the Call Center industry for many years) and I thought setup should be simple.

Option 4: that would be my last resort considering I already spent $200 on the device + injector to power it up.

Going back to Option 1 and 3: Is this something you can do?

Hi @Leo Laohoo !

I decided to go with the Option 1, I did the Cloud Upgrade process but it looks like I need to redo the process to get the license into the device. After the first upgrade, the Alternate TFTP option got lost from settings so I'm unable to input the TFTP server again.

Is there any way to get it again?

TFTP server should be configured in the DHCP option 150.

I see the option DHCP option to use with many numbers (66, 160, 159, 150, 60, 43, 125). I erased those numbers and just left 150 on it. The phone restarted but the Alternate TFTP option is still not shown. 

Now I have an Enter activation code, provide the migration license screen. 

I think I will have to throw this phone to the trash can and give up on this.

@RoqueBarralaga wrote:

I think I will have to throw this phone to the trash can and give up on this.

That is why I said, in Option 1, "Sometimes it works flawless and sometimes people just want to cry themselves to sleep."

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card