cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I will upgrade WLC for the first time , What is particularly concerned ? feel stress

Ethan and Mia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi , I am newbie by for CISCO WLC , I need to upgrade reason by audit check so I will upgrade   the WLC to the the stable version from 5.8.x to 5.10.x  all of (APs 300) unit use Flexconnection , The access point models support were check  no worry about this point .  I have 7 hours to do that process and solve if had issues.

What it particularly concern ? please recommend , I will the best prepare to do this job . feeling stress 

Thank in advance.

10 Replies 10

atalebzadeh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Not a cause for concern. This is a simple process but i recommended to you use this procedure to upgrade WLC:

1- before copy firmware file to WLC provide backup of your configuration

2- after copy firmware file to the wlc, pre-download firmware to Access Points,

3- after the all APs download the firmware, restart your wlc

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check Release Notes for the intended version and follow installation procedures accordingly

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Ethan and Mia
Level 1
Level 1

If have any issue , I wanna roll back firmware  ,  Will I active the second firmware then all APs will follow right ?

-  Yes, 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Besides the already named options, if possible have the APs attacked to PoE switches. So if one gets stranded and doesn't get back online after 30 minutes, simply shutdown the switchport for some seconds to force a reboot of the AP.

Don't forget to save your configuration before the reload

You should also clear the web browser cache after the upgrade, otherwise some pages might be broken. 

I am a bit confused about the versions though, I assume you meant to write 8.8.x to 8.10.x?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  1. What is the model of the WLC? 
  2. What exact firmware is the WLC running on and what exact firmware is the upgrade version? 
  3. Post the complete output to the WLC command "sh sysinfo". 
  4. What are the OLDEST model of AP and what are the NEWEST AP?

Jegan Rajappa
Level 1
Level 1

what model are those controllers?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your code you posted is wrong.  So that is a bit confusing.  Many have shared what they would do, but you also need to be comfortable doing this.  You didn't mention how many controllers and what controllers you have because there might be another way you should do this upgrade.  Also with flexconnect, you need to take into account the wan link bandwidth if your controller(s) are located in a different location.  It's easy for us whom have been doing wireless to say its easy, because we know how to get around things and do a few pre-test items before actually doing the upgrade. 

Please answer the questions Leo provided so we can better help you.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Ethan and Mia
Level 1
Level 1

I already upgrade to 8.10 , New gui feature look better , everything going as well , too much happy ,

Butt cisco official bug this firmware ap1815-w the external port shown mac flapping.

There will always be some issue that affects certain ap models, controller models and features. It’s why testing is a major part of moving forward also understanding what bugs are more cosmetic than bugs that can affect user experience.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card