cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

If the 2.4 radio in my AP is Admin Status = Enabled, Oper Status = Down, will it be detected by other nearby wireless systems or Spectrum Analyzer?

atomicluis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm hoping you could clarify/confirm the following:

Unchecking the "802.11b/g/n Network Status" on my 3504 WLC changes the Operational Status of the radio to 'Down', but the 'Admin Status' stays as 'Enabled'

As I understand it, doing this disables the 802.11b/g/n band on the radio. The radio is still up, but 802.11b/g/n will not function.

In this state (radio up), will the 2.4 Ghz radio transmit any type of frames that would be detectable by an Spectrum analyzer or other wireless systems near by?

I am aware that I can disable the 2.GHz radio on each AP with:

config 802.11-abgn enable [AP NAME]

But I would like to know if un-checking the "802.11b/g/n Network Status" is enough to stop any type of frames that would make it discover-able by Spectrum Analyzer or other wifi systems near by.

Thank you. 

1 Reply 1

Yes, if you disable a/n/ac [5GHz] or b/g/n/ [2.4GHz] that would effectively disable any activity on that band. Note that this is a global configuration and applies to all APs. You can disable operational status by CLI command that you listed.

You can administratively disable an AP  using below command

config ap disable <Cisco AP> AP>

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card