cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Incompatible WLC and APs

navydivervet
Level 1
Level 1

Need to build a temporary Wireless solution, until newly-ordered hardware arrives. From stock, I have Cisco 4400 WLCs, and Cisco 3802 APs. What's my best deployment method with what I have available? I only need this solution for a few weeks.

8 Replies 8

Hi

Unfortunatelly you can´t. The first release for this AP is 8.2 and 4400 stops ni 7.0

3800 Series

AIR-AP3802E-x-K9

8.2.110.0 Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.3.1

AIR-AP3802I-x-K9

AIR-AP3802P-x-K9

Cisco Controller Platform

First Support

Last Support

4.2.x

7.x

7.0.x

4.2.x

7.x

I was aware and was hoping for some type of workaround. I do have 9300 switches, so have considered that. Is there any solution where I could run the APs without a wlc? Mobility express possibly?

Yes, you can run ME.  You can also run a temporary virtual WLC, if possible for you.  You can also run a Embedded WLC on the 9300 switch.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you cat 9300 switch, you can use that switch as WLC controller, or build temporary VM which support your AP for stop gap.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes, I was weighing this option, but was curious if the APs could be used as standalone somehow

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Turn the 3800 into a controller using Mobility Express firmware.

alirafaleiro
Level 1
Level 1

The wireless access point (AP) has lost the intelligent characteristic, while the wireless access controller turns into the new brain for WLAN. In the case of the Wireless LAN network, also known as WLAN, you can use the WLC or Wireless LAN Controller, whose purpose is to centralize the control of Access Points (APs).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Does all your AP's have DNA/Network licenses? Can you see these licenses in your smart account? If yes you can download the 9800-CL and deploy it on a supported hypervisor. Obviously you will have to run your WLC without support, but still this is better than running ME or EWC in switches as this will give you ease of migration to the new Catalyst (I assume pending WLC is catalyst as other's are EOS) WLC arrives.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card