cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Increasing AP strength

ethutchinson
Level 1
Level 1

We have a WISM 2 running 8.0.120.0 . We support about 37 AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 APs. It is setup and working fine. I was wondering if there is a way to increase signal strength to increase coverage on certain APs. I am sure there are drawbacks to doing this but I wanted to be sure. The APs in question are working by themselves in remote buildings.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sire survey suggest you how you can do.

some reference document :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-340-series/66091-wlan-extend-radio-coverage.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Put more APs into the site(s) or move the APs.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>....to increase signal strength to increase coverage on certain APs. I am sure there are drawbacks to doing

As Leo said and or in 'simple terms' , you won't expand coverage with that , you may even reduce it due to clients depending on a transmit-response range when talking to an AP. You need sufficient coverage and 'good cells' and for new installations you need a  site survey.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Like the others have said. Ideally you add new APs. The 1142 are anyway out of support and out of everything, so you can probably pick them up really cheap on ebay or similar, just make sure you have enough AP licenses on the WISM 2. As far as I remember they are fully licensed, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

You can also check the power level per AP, yours might be set to automatic and the controller might have lowered the signal strength on those APs. You can increase them typically by one level without making to many problems in other areas. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card