cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet through wireless very slow

Ross Ghanim
Level 1
Level 1

We have two Cisco 3750 Switches stackable model ws-c3750g-24ws-s25 so they are being one switch but two controllers WLC that each support 25 Cisco AiroNet 1242 AP. We used to have 5mbps bandwidth and now we upgraded to 25mbps we have three VLANS 30 is for business and gets 5mbps and 90 MWR gets the rest and the wireless is VLAN 200 what we getting is that when a device is connected to the wired network the device can reach the 25mbps but through wireless it is very slow and cannot pass the 9mbps.

Also I like to know what replaced this 3750 that will work with the Cisco 1242 AP we have 50 of htose. 

thank you so much

Ross Ghanim       

Ross Ghanim
9 Replies 9

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Its importnat to understand the concept of wireless. There are lots of questions that need to be asked ..

Are your client 802.11b/g/a/n?

What are you client connecting at PHY rate ?

Do you have interference ?

What are you doing to set the client to see you are only getting 9 mbps?

Where are you seeing this 9 mps, in the wireless supplicant ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

thank you so much George for helping me.  please see my answers we have in this camp about 500 clients with all wireless devices.  We have 2 networks one is for business and one we call it MWR not sure what PHY is.  We have one switch with three VLANS vlan30 for business, vlan80 for voip phones, and vlan90 for MWR users. MWR should be 25mbps bandwidth and business is 5mbps bandwidth.  MWR hard wired is not bad but the wireless is very bad and cannot go above 9mbps. We use CACTI and PRTG from the ISP.  We started today it is night right now in Kabul to connect users to hard line and disable wireless to reduce the many devices in the wireless.  I wanted to implement policy, bandwidth, and shaping but I want to get advice first. Can you kindly see my config files attached.

Ross Ghanim

IT manager

Ross Ghanim

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add. You do need to tell us more information and even maybe attach your show run-config.

If your looking for a switch WLC version to replace what you have. Cisco has the 3850's that is a switch and integrated WLC, but the WLC uses IOS commands not AirOS. What you also can look at is the 5508's which really replaced the 4400's like what's imbedded in the switches you have. These are separate appliances and do not have switch ports which I prefer.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott

First of all thank you so much for your quick reply.  Honestly I thought no one will ever answer me but I was wrong and I appreciate this site so much. As you asked me I am going to attach the config files.  these are show run in the switch, show run in the business router, and show run in the MWR router.  Currently MWR is going to an ISP with 25mbps bandwidth and business router is 5mbps bandwidth.  The switch have three main VLANs 30 for business, 90 is MWR, and 80 is VOIP.  Wireless is also VLAN 200.  MWR users traffic is very good VLAN90 and fast but with wireless it is very very slow.  I am looking to implement policy, bandwidth and shaping but not sure how and where to implement.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ross Ghanim

IT manager

Ross Ghanim

Scott

I believe my company have an account with your company and we buy HP from you.  The company is called DynCorp Intl in Texas. I would like to make a PR to buy  a switch with WLC that can support 50 Cisco 1242 AP.  We have two 3750 now each WLC controller can support 25.  I got approval from the government to upgrade our switch once I know the part number and prices and I am in Kabul Afghanistan under ACAS program for DoS.

Ross Ghanim

IT manager

Ross Ghanim

Scott

Can you kindly tell me what did you find about the files I sent you and can you provide me if I can upgrade this Cisco to newer version that also support the Cisco 1242 please.  thank you so much

Ross Ghanim

Ross Ghanim

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

Ross,

I just wanted to clarify something; Are all the wireless users slow or just certain vlans?  The way I interpreted the description above was that wired users were fast but wireless users were only getting about 9mb.

If that is true and you are using Cisco 1242AG's then I wouldn't be suprised that it is correct; since all wireless access points are half duplex and since the 1242 doesn't support 802.11n the high data rate woud be 54 mb which is really more like 25mb assuming best signal strength.. I know my home 1242 pushes around 10-11mb but that's feeding off a 35mb internet connection and gigabit switches; my wired computers are pushing closer to the 35mb.  For comparison purposes my office system is running 802.11n AP's and wired I speedtest out around 48mb down and 20mb up; on the 802.11n wireless I am pushing around 30mb do and 10mb up.

So I'd say your numbers aren't really that bad, unless local network traffic is slow too.

Hope this helps!

You are right since we have the switch may be does not support the 802.11n and the AP we have is 1242G and the switch is WS-C3750G-24WS-S25.  the government allowes us to replace this switch but I like to replace this with the switch that supports all wireless technology, AP that suppports all 802.11a/b/g/n. But the issue we have now is that we can not reach close to the 54mbps.  The problem is that we have many users on the wireless and less users on the wired network.  My company can buy from CDW.

Thank you so much

Ross Ghanim

Ross Ghanim

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ross,

Well you discovered your issue. You have to look at wireless like a hub. Everything is shared and the more users the more throughout us cut in half. If you want to go 802.11n, I would, look at the 3600's and also look at getting a gigabit PoE switch. If you use the AC module that can be installed in the 3600, it will require more power than 802.af. I don't think you need that. The AC module will require Enhanced PoE, 802.at or Universal PoE to power the AP and the AC module.

The 3600's also work well when you require high density deployment. Since you do purchase from CDW, speak with one of our Wireless Solutions Architect. They can help you out with a solution also.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card