Views
Helpful
Replies

IP of AP has been changed after shut down

eeebbunee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are using 200+ APs in the plant office and they are connected to WLC.

Sometimes switches shut down for some reasons, then related APs were shut down too.

The problem is when the all devices are rebooted after shut down, AP's IP changed even APs has static IPs.

I thought that cause from one of WLC's configuration, but I couldn't find exact point.

If IP has been changed, then I have to change the IP information on my NMS system too, everytime, and it makes me tired.

Can you please get some advices for me?

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not believe that WLC changes IP address of the AP.

When the AP connect to Switch - based on the configuration and VLAN belong to that port - will get the IP address from DHCP

if you have mapped static IP in DHCP against that MAC address of AP- AP should get all the time same IP address.

Make sure you excluded the IP range for the Static IP address.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

What you should do is Mac reservations. AP’s use static first, but if the ap doesn’t discover the controller(s), then the next step is to use dhcp. This is the process because the AP believe it might be on the wrong vlan so dhcp will happen. Maybe shut the port down until the switch has full connectivity then no shut the ports. Or else just try to bounce the ports the AP’s are on again. Mac reservation would be a lot better.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card