cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone 7921 / 7925 roaming issues after WLC upgrade from Version 7.2 to 7.3 and / or 7.4

Patrick Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a customer which is using a Cisco WLC 5508 and 3502I APs. As he used the 7.2.103 release, There were no issues with VoWLAN. Now he needed new APs and ordered the 2602I. To use them he needed to upgrade the WLC to a 7.3 or later release. After the upgrade, he now encounters problems while roaming with the phones. The phones were tested with FW 1.4.1, 1.4.2 and 1.4.3.

Configuration is set according to wireless voice design guides (VoWLAN DG 4.1, 7921 Deployment Guide). A Cisco TAC is also in progress, but they seem to be uncertain whether it is a wireless or CUCM issue, but I don't see a reason why it should be the CUCM when the only thing changed is the WLC Software Version.

Is there anybody who is aware of such issues and can offer help?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Patrick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottg.irey
Level 1
Level 1

FYI if u need 2600 you can use 7.2.110 or higher. The compatibility matrix is wrong and 7.2.110 added support for them.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are alot of stuff to deal with.  Can you configure the Voice SSID to operate in 802.11 a/n only and see if there are any improvements?

With 7.4.100.X firmware, you can also create an RF profile.  You attach this RF profile to your SSID, by using AP Groups.  You then specify in your RF group to disable 802.11 b data rates from 12 Mbps and below.

OK I will discuss this with our customer. Thank you for your quick response.

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not aware of any major issues with 7.3.101.0 or 7.4.100.0.

We did extensive testing wtih both releases with the 792x endpoints and didn't encounter any issues.

But if you simply upgraded the WLC where the VoWLAN solution was working previously but not after the upgrade, then there may be something there on the WLC/AP side.

2044418Puts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have exactly the same issues. Sound is choppy for apprx. 3 seconds while roaming between the APs. I'm using the same APs with a 2504 controller. Phone is 7921 with 1.4.4.3 firmware.

When downgrading to 7.2.x.x everything works fine again.

Did you ever get a solution for this problem?

BTW My 7921 is connected to CM Express 8.6.

Thanks!

scottg.irey
Level 1
Level 1

FYI if u need 2600 you can use 7.2.110 or higher. The compatibility matrix is wrong and 7.2.110 added support for them.

Hi,

we had a TAC ticket open with this customer and after some time, the TAC gave us the advise to use this release and the problems are now solved.

So for others having the same issue: If you only need to support the 2600 APs, stay with the latest 7.2 release as there are some issues with the 7.3 and 7.4 release. If the customer requires HA, AVC or any of the new features + wireless voice, be very careful as it seems that the newer releases are having problems with that. I hope that Cisco will fix this very soon.

regards,

Patrick

scottg.irey
Level 1
Level 1

Depending on what features you need and if stability is important stay off of 73 or 74 for now.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card