Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iPad2 and 1200 AP - Can't access SSID

Odd issue at my office.  I've got an iPad2, which works without issue at home (1130 AP/ASA5505), but at my office, we have a 1200 series AP.  It's hit and miss, but other people who bring iPads in have noticed the same issue--our internal SSID is non-broadcast.  Even though the SSID is previously configured and works on occassion, there are times where it won't even see the SSID at all to connect.  Has anyone found a fix for this as of yet?

This happens with iPad and iPad2, iOS4 and iOS5...

LIke i said, works fine on my non-broadcast SSID at my home on an 1130 AP...

SJ

12 Replies 12

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Scott,

What security are you using on your home network vs your work network ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Same on both -- WPA/wpa2

Scott A. Jones, CCVP

IPLogic, Inc.

Sent from my iPad

Enterprise or PSK ? And are both enabled or just one ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

PSK and both are enabled.

Thanks for the help.

Scott A. Jones, CCVP

Iplogic, inc.

Sent from my iPhone

And let me guess, all non Apple devices are fine, right

Hahaha...you are correct. But my Mac works fine also...

Just the iPad and iPhone that are giving me fits...

Scott A. Jones, CCVP

IPLogic, Inc.

Sent from my iPad

Im a Apple guy myself and I've had similar odd behavior. Apple in general is "flaky" at times when it comes to wifi and since Apple has the wireless supplicant on lock down (meaning you cant tune or change) wireless settings like you can compared to Intel or other supplicants. It makes things a bit of a challenge.

My first piece of advice is to get "back to basics" if you can. By this I mean add broadcast and limit the security to 1 auth type. I dont know if you can do this in production enviroment, but this would be my first round of advice.

I have a large enviroment here with hundres of iDevices. We have them connected to a EAP-PEAP, WPA, Non-broadcast and we dont have many issues. We do have the occsaional blip here and there..

But this is where I would start ..

Also do you have CCKM enable by chance on your SSID?

Not positive on cckm...I'll have to look. I'll give it a shot on the back to basics though...we're a small office, so a little science experiment shouldn't screw things up too bad...

Thanks for the assistance!

Scott A. Jones, CCVP

IPLogic, Inc.

Sent from my iPad

If you have CCKM enable remove it as a test. Apple devices dont understand CCKM and Ive seen connection problems with it ...

Please do respond back after your testing ...

George,

Do you have documentation or details around issues with iOS devices and CCKM?  I haven't heard issues around CCKM and iOS.

James

No documents. Just personal experince in the lab and in the field. Also, if you look at the APPLE specs there is no mention of CCKM support.

Interesting as I have had more issues on Web Auth authentication than WPA2/PEAP with iOS devices.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card