Views
Helpful
Replies

iPhone 4S (with latest iOS) not seeing SSID on WLC 2504

oren_cohen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a wireless network deployment consisting of WLC 2504 and three 1702 access-points.

All phones and laptops are seeing the SSID of the WLANs configured on the WLC, except iPhone 4S with the latest iOS version - 9.3.3

The iPhone can see (and connect to) other WLANs which are not related to the WLC.

I followed Enterprise Best Practices for Apple Devices on Cisco Wireless LAN (enabled 802.11a and 5GHz only, changed channel width to 40Mhz, enabled Fast Transition on the WLAN, etc.), but no luck - the iPhone still cannot see the SSID on the WiFi networks menu.

Technical Details:

WLC 2504 Version: 8.1.102.0

AP Model: AIR-CAP1702I-I-K9

iPhone 4S iOS Version: 9.3.3(13g34)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Oren

6 Replies 6

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

Oren,

It's great that you are following the best practices for wireless, your wireless users will love you! However, the Iphone 4s only  has a 2.4 radio

iPhone 4S - Technical Specifications

• 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)

so in order for the Iphones 4s to work you will have to turn on the 2.4 radios or create a new SSID just for the phones to use.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP643?locale=en_US

I hope this helps

David

Yes, David is right

Only iPhone5 onward support 5GHz radio band. So until all your client supports 5GHz , you need to enable 2.4GHz radio for this SSID

HTH

Rasika

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Two things:

1. I enabled both 802.11a/n/ac (5GHz) and 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz) Radios on all WLANs (see attached).

2. An older iOS version of the same iPhone 4S was able to see and connect the SSID. Upon upgrading to latest version, it could not see them.

What type of layer 2 and or layer 3 authentication are you using ? Can you provide some details please. I had trouble in the past with older IPads joining, us usually deleting the wireless network on the device and powering off the device and back on would allow it to join.

Layer2 - WPA2/AES with PSK. I tried with FT and without.

Layer3 - none

Try and setup a new SSID with no security and see if the iphone will join.  just for testing

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card