cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it Possible to enable or have more than one RAP in a Mesh Network?

richnam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

My WLAN has a 4404 WCS and is running in mesh mode. The area of coverage is wide and i need to have extra RAPs in strategic locations to minimize the hop count of some outdoor APs. The extra RAPs are wired back to the switch via fibre. How can i enable more than one RAP in this case? Please help!!!

4 Replies 4

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

Sure, you can have multiple RAPs. Just set the role of any AP that can hit the controller via the wire as a RAP. The MAPs will then use the best route to the controller. If you want to specify which MAPs go to a particular RAP just set different BGN's. Also I would suggest setting different channels for each RAP.

Thank you dancampb.

I have set the role of another AP to root. but however, i noticed all the other MAPs leave the previous RAP and associates only to the new one. How do i set different BGNs? what is a BGN? my WCS runs a mesh network but i don't see any bridging enabled. please i need your help.

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

The BGN is the bridge group name. It basically sets up a workgroup of AP's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/design/guide/MeshAP_52.html

Thank you dancampb.

I was able to set up a second RAP. However, that means if the RAP goes down, all the MAP connected to that BGN will be down. Is there a way i can make the group fallback to another group incase the groups RAP goes down?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card