Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 1.2 Auth Avg Response Time

Hi Guys,

We have recently moved to ISE 1.2 (distributed deployment on UCS C220 blades) from ACS 5.x. We are seeing Avergage Auth response time ~150ms in each PSN nodes (4 in total) & wonder whether this is too slow.

Is this normal or we should have much lower average response time for thos radius authentications ? What are the typical value you guys observed in those sort of deployment

Any input would be much appreciated

Rasika       

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Where did you get your information from? Is it from the ISE Authentication Report Summary? If so, which of the Average responses are you concerned about? Authentications By Day, Identity Group, Identity Store, Allowed Protocol etc.

In my network average response based on protocol PEAP is 121ms. Authentication by day is 74ms. Then again my network may be smaller than yours. Also I have an appliance and not a Virtual Server. In my opinion, I don't think 150ms is that much to make the user notice. If authentication response gets close to 300ms, then you have an issue.

If you have a very large network like a University Campus, then 150ms is OK.

View solution in original post

I hover around 125 and 250ms. As you know this could be an issue for a client roaming that is using voice or video without a caching mechanism, like cckm, pkc or something of the like.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Where did you get your information from? Is it from the ISE Authentication Report Summary? If so, which of the Average responses are you concerned about? Authentications By Day, Identity Group, Identity Store, Allowed Protocol etc.

In my network average response based on protocol PEAP is 121ms. Authentication by day is 74ms. Then again my network may be smaller than yours. Also I have an appliance and not a Virtual Server. In my opinion, I don't think 150ms is that much to make the user notice. If authentication response gets close to 300ms, then you have an issue.

If you have a very large network like a University Campus, then 150ms is OK.

I hover around 125 and 250ms. As you know this could be an issue for a client roaming that is using voice or video without a caching mechanism, like cckm, pkc or something of the like.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

Thank you very much for the input. So value I am seeing is ok in that sense. I'll keep monitor it & see how it vary during load periods.

Rasika

Hi Osita,

Thank you very much for the input

Yes, from Auth Summary Report. I ran the repport for a day & then Authentication By server gives me each PSN avg response time.

At the moment it is vacation time for students & therefore around 3k wireless users connect daily. When it busy period with students it will go around 12K wireless users.

I will keep monitor this & see how it goes with peak period (need to wait till next March to see it)

Rasika

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: