cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR-AP1101AC-B internal AP

evancurran14
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure the internal AP to join a wireless controller. It is in CAPWAP mode but I keep getting the following log

Jan 10 15:59:42 kernel: [*01/10/2020 15:59:42.2299] Waiting for preferred uplink IP configuration

How is it supposed to get an IP?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

After 90 minutes on with TAC and 72 hours of waiting for a response, I finally figured it out on my own. There really should be better instructions for this. Thanks for everyone's help!!

On the router config, you need to put the AP in the normal data vlan. for my example, we will use vlan 10. Vlan 10 is where all my pc's live and is trunked back to the switch. It is my internal vlan...

interface Wlan-GigabitEthernet0/1/4
switchport access vlan 10

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I can't find this model in the wireless compatibility matrix. Are you sure it is controller-compatable. Check the link below. As far as obtaining an IP , make sure  there is  a 'valid' DHCP server and or service available.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I "provision" 4800 series AP's at the same bench using the same ports so I know our DHCP scopes are good to go and so is the switch we are plugging into. How does the AP onboard the router get its IP address?

Does it pull it from DHCP? Do I need to get the router off the same subnet as the AP? Do I need to configure the router somehow to tell the AP its IP?

- Check if you can get some useful info from this thread :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-and-mobility/configuring-built-in-wireless-ap-on-c1111-8pw/td-p/3783142

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

That was helpful and now I understand that the AP is on the internal network and should have an IP on the same network as in the inside interface of the router. however, I still cannot seem to get the AP to get an IP. I have even assigned it one statically and it wont work. I have IP helper addresses on the SVI for the inside network on the router. I have tried setting up a dhcp server on the router... I don't see anything anywhere that explains how to set this part of it up. All documentation assumes you already have an IP on the AP

- How did you try to assign it statically (which commands) ?

M.

capwap ap ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.1

It takes the command, and shows that as the IP address. I just can't ping that IP. It is on the same subnet as the inside of the router.

router vlan 10 SVI is 10.10.10.5 and that works just fine. But I can't ping the AP from the router and vice versa.

After 90 minutes on with TAC and 72 hours of waiting for a response, I finally figured it out on my own. There really should be better instructions for this. Thanks for everyone's help!!

On the router config, you need to put the AP in the normal data vlan. for my example, we will use vlan 10. Vlan 10 is where all my pc's live and is trunked back to the switch. It is my internal vlan...

interface Wlan-GigabitEthernet0/1/4
switchport access vlan 10

- Great to hear! Can you tell us how you figured it out ? That can be useful and added-value for the community too.

M.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card