cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues with Zoom meetings and AP roaming.

Ryan S
Level 1
Level 1

I have note been able to find anyone mentioning this as an issue so I'm not sure if this is an issue with just me or something with Zoom.

Why does Zoom kick clients out of meetings or give constant connection is unstable messages when a laptop roams between Access Points during meetings? I'm using a Cisco 8540 controller running 8.10.113.0 with about 600 2702, 2802, and 4800 APs. There are no other programs or websites that have this issue that we have found. Roaming is completely invisible to the client unless its Zoom. There were no complaints or issues about wireless until Zoom exploded in use.

We are using Flexconnect with local switching, Fast Transition currently set to over the air but was originally set to over the DS although that didn't seem to help with the problem. We have a central controller and 23 remote sites.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

18 Replies 18

mdroessler
Level 1
Level 1

There was a zoom update about a month ago and that appears to have helped our situation we were seeing on the Mac.  We have made no other changes to our network that would have resolved the issue.  Hope others have seen the same results.  Thanks to all for the replies.  I am interested on if the Meraki folks find what the issues is, we are looking to upgrade wireless and Meraki is being looked at so be nice to know any caveats ahead of time.  Thanks again all. 

Ethan and Mia
Level 1
Level 1

I facing this issue too , How you fix it ?

We are still having the problem even after 8 weeks of trying different things. The biggest thing that we have found is that we think our ASA5585 keeps getting a UDP buffer overload even though it doesn't indicate any problems. One work around that we have found is that if we force ZOOM to use TCP over UDP it performs better for us. We are doing this via a forced firewall rule on our SSID's via our Meraki wireless.

Hope this helps and if you find a solution please let us know.

Is your issue also only happening when the client roams?

If yes, it might help to activate either CCKM (for faster roaming with supported clients) or 802.11r (also called FT). Please note that 802.11r can cause various other issues, mostly with clients with outdated drivers. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card