cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IW3702 as WGB : The port on IW3700 to be connected on switch to host wired hosts behind the WGB

Muhammed Adnan
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Experts,

I have a requirement to onboard IW3700 WGB on the infrastructure capwap AP which too is an IW3700.

The WGB will be having over 5-6 wired hosts behind it connected through the IE1000 switch.
Now my query is, 'can I just use PoE in port on the IW3700 to connect to IE1000 switch hosting the wired hosts' -OR' 'I need to compulsorily used the 'PoE out' port on the IW3700 to connect to IE1000 switch hosting the wired hosts.

Having to have the WGB connected via its PoE in port to the SW will serve even the power requirement of the IW3700.

IW3702 CAPWAP AP -----> IW 3702 (PoE in Port) ----> IE1000 switch ----> wired hosts

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Grendizer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use either port.

PoE-In is a 10/100/1000Base-T POE-IN M12 X-Coded 8-Pin female connection

PoE-Out is a 10/100/1000Base-T POE-OUT M12 X-Coded 8-Pin female connection

The PoE-Out port can be used as a normal ethernet port. and can provide power "only when the unit is powered by DC input" but regardless of power, can always be configured to use as a traditional ethernet port, so can be used as a ethernet connectivity port.

In your case, it is easier to connect the AP with one cable only to PoE-In but you can use the PoE-Out port as well if needed

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Grendizer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use either port.

PoE-In is a 10/100/1000Base-T POE-IN M12 X-Coded 8-Pin female connection

PoE-Out is a 10/100/1000Base-T POE-OUT M12 X-Coded 8-Pin female connection

The PoE-Out port can be used as a normal ethernet port. and can provide power "only when the unit is powered by DC input" but regardless of power, can always be configured to use as a traditional ethernet port, so can be used as a ethernet connectivity port.

In your case, it is easier to connect the AP with one cable only to PoE-In but you can use the PoE-Out port as well if needed

Thank you Grendizer. Yes, makes sense to be allowed to use either of the ports as downlink to switch hosting the wired hosts. Just wanted to make sure if there are any specific purpose built recommendation on this.

Option to use PoE in port makes life lot more easier though.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card