Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Key policies for Wireless device

When I enable SSH/SSL in WLC 9800, Where is the private key stored?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ammahend
VIP
VIP

you can run the command

show crypto pki certificates storage

most likely it would be nvram

then execute

dir nvram: you will see .cer and .p7b certificate files

keep in mind that when generating the key pair, if you did not use the keyword exportable you wont be able to export it.

crypto key generate rsa exportable

usually I would not recommend exporting the private key, but I am sure you have use case for it.

hope this helps

-hope this helps-

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- In the running-config.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

ammahend
VIP
VIP

you can run the command

show crypto pki certificates storage

most likely it would be nvram

then execute

dir nvram: you will see .cer and .p7b certificate files

keep in mind that when generating the key pair, if you did not use the keyword exportable you wont be able to export it.

crypto key generate rsa exportable

usually I would not recommend exporting the private key, but I am sure you have use case for it.

hope this helps

-hope this helps-

So FIPS-140 module doesn't save the crypto keys?
It's only for the key generation?

Answer to both question is No.

FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standard) as the name suggests is security compliance standard for U.S. and Canadian government.

for e.g without FIPS Enabled you can use ssh client using sha1 to access 9800 but with FIPS enabled you can’t because it detects it as a non compliance security standard, many more standards like this/ list of appliance/ list of firmware make up FIPS.

you can read more about it here 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/industries/government/global-government-certifications/fips-140.html

I hope this helps

-hope this helps-

k740g1tg.bmp

from the screenshot, I can see that the private keys are all stored in the devices. Can help to confirm there is no way to retrieve the private keys out of the device?
if there are ways to retrieve it out of the device, can it be used to spoof the device?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card