cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
msompong1
Beginner

L2 roaming with PEAP.

Hi All,

I've notice that once the client move from current AP to other AP will have the DHCP request to the DHCP server and the PING to WLAN gateway is time-out for 1 package.

I'm not so sure dose it the normal for L2 roaming?

How can I check the L2 roaming is working?

Below is my environment.

WLC 5520 firmware  8.5.131.0

EAP type = PEAP.

Authentication Key Management : Enable 802.1X + CCKM + FT 802.1X

DHCP = External.

Client OS = Windows 10

2 REPLIES 2
patoberli
VIP Advisor

It doesn't change the SSID (name) right?

On the WLC you can enable debug output with the command debug client macaddressofclient and then roam. Can you show us the output of that here?

Rasika Nayanajith
VIP Mentor

I've notice that once the client move from current AP to other AP will have the DHCP request to the DHCP server and the PING to WLAN gateway is time-out for 1 package.

This is normal & missing one packet is not a big issue in this scenario.

I'm not so sure dose it the normal for L2 roaming?

If you have multiple WLC and they are in two different routing doamin (ie WLAN is mapped to two different subnet/vlan on those 2 WLCs), then only L3 roaming comes into place. Otherwise every roam is L2 

How can I check the L2 roaming is working?

The best way is taking over the air packet capture on the current AP channel & Target AP channel. This is the best document to go through to understand what roaming scenario the client is taking (since you configure 802.1X, CCKM & FT  on same SSID)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/116493-technote-technology-00.html 

As suggested, debug client output may sufficient as well

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Content for Community-Ad