Views
Helpful
Replies

LAP 1142n-E-k9

aotholland
Level 1
Level 1

I have a issue with 1142n.

If I start from 15 sessions per AP then it becomes a very costly affair. Because there are almost 20.000 student.

20,000 students * 60% concurrent use divided by 15 = 800 APs.

Can you help me what is a realistic number of sessions on this AP? What is max concurrent connections on this AP?

Thanks and Krgds.

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco's rule-of-thumb is 25 clients per AP.

But the question you need to answer is WHAT kind of traffic?

If the traffic are mostly emails, browsing, chats, then this number can go up to, say, 35 clients to a WAP.  If the traffic are HD Video then this could be as low as 8.

Talk to your Cisco SE.  Talk to them about the new 2600/3600.  Cisco is recommending that the maximum clients per WAP is 200. 

We are not going VDI on the Ap's, but internet and web applications for students. Limited bandwidth so.

If 35 clients have connection per AP, than i need (20.000/35=571 Ap's). Is that correct?

If 35 clients have connection per AP, than i need (20.000/35=571 Ap's). Is that correct?

Are you telling me you have 20k students using the wireless network SIMULTANEOUSLY?

my answerd is no!

So ideal number of clients per AP are 35?

How many SSID can be created on this AP?

Let me reiterate my initial question:  How many SIMULTANEOUS connections?

Talk to your Cisco Sales Engineer.  The 2nd Generation of WAPs, 2600 and 3600, have been touted to have a maximum number of clients pegged at 200.

EvaldasOu
Level 4
Level 4

Hi. Go as Lee suggested. AP 2600 would support up 200 users.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is how I see it... You need to first off decide who will be accessing the wireless and what traffic you will be allowing. I say this because when I have worked on implementations for schools in the past and current, the number of AP's required has grown. If you are allowing student access and or guest access, you have to be worried about uploads and downloads. How I see it now is that you need to look at density. Before, you count the number of students, now you must look at each person having at least 2-4 devices. I have returned to schools a few years later where they have an AP in every classroom or even one AP for every two classrooms. With the newer WLC code it does have a maximum client association of 200, but you need to plan for x number of devices per user on that area. A larger classroom can peg that 200 association limit. The 25 users per AP is really for throughput and its an average. I have seen 40+ on an AP when users are using it for web and email with no issues. I have seen in marketing companies where we had max 5 connection be the limit due to upload and downloads of lager image/video files with 'N' access points.

So try to understand the environment now... What do the users want to use the wireless for and how many wireless devices per user will be allowed on the network. Will you have guest access only. Mobile device count and applications being used is very important to know.

My 2 cent:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card