cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAP Access Point - trunk or switchport ?

neilmac
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks.

I always thought that an access point (unless configured not to) would tunnel back to the controller, so would be connected to a switchport in the same VLAN as the management interface. However, if you apply smartport, it configures the port as a trunk port.

Which is the correct way to go ?

Many thanks,

NM

5 Replies 5

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The LAP should be on the Accesspost just to get the IP address to the AP.. trunk port is not required for LWAPP AP..

Lemme know if this answered ur question and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks Surendra.

I know that, my question is why does setting the smartport to be an access point then set the port to be a trunk port ?

Nm

Hi,

If you are using the small business switch, we have automated the config on the switch to configure it as a trunk if AP is chosen, thats how the switch is designed.. i recommend you to manualy configure the switch port as guest so that that wil be the VLAN on which the AP will get the P from.. rest all will be tunnelled..

Please revert back if that dint answer ur question!! Please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi, Surendra.

Thanks for the reply, however it doesn't really answer the question. I can set the port to be a trunk port and the access point will get an IP address if there is DHCP on the default VLAN and it will be fine if the access point management port is also on the same VLAN.

Or I can set it to be a switch port in the native VLAN 1, where the curreent management ports are and there is DHCP.

The question is, "If best practice tells us to use a switchport for access points, why does the smartport role make the switch port a trunk port ?"

That's what I want to know, there must be a reason for it.

NM

Thats how the switch is desinged.. coz this is done coz one of the reason may be tha we need the trunk for IOS AP, just to automane that we have.. May be posting on the Small business forum may answer ur question on smart port.

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: