Views
Helpful
Replies

LAP1242 cannot join the WLC2500

rguzman.plannet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have some LAP1242 which by mistake were bought for Mesh. I am trying to convert them to LWAPP so what I did first was to convert them to Stand Alone then to LWAPP but I cannot get the AP to join the WLC and sends several error logs.

I attached some logs taken from AP and WLC so that you can figure out what's going on.

I wonder if I have to remove anything from flash either on SA or LWAPP mode (I know that in some cases you have to delete privete-config in order to avoid the AP taken previous configurations). By the way I think I had never seen this c1240-k9w8-mx.124-25e.JA2 on an AP IOS before, I wonder if it has to do with the mesh thing.

Thank you!

27 Replies 27

Well I have 7.4 on a 2504 and 5508 now. It's my he lab so I have done testing since the 4.x with a 2106

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

This is what I do when things do go well:). I delete all the images in the flash: and then upload the rcv image since that always works for me. I do this from ROMMON mode, but I do this a lot even with newer AP since I test with beta codes and sometimes those images seem to corrupt my APs when the release version comes out. Here is a link that shows the commands in ROMMON.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14636

-Scott

Scott,

I'll take a look at your link.... not an expert in this area, so might be challenging .

In the meantime... this is what's showing exactly in the log of the WLC. I've highlighted the errors that were also in this original post. However... maybe you see something else that could be causing the issue.

Might be also worth noting that when I connect the AP first time (or after reset) it does download the software from the WLC. Then reboots, but never associates with the WLC. Just keeps rebooting.

-------------------

*spamApTask0: Jan 31 17:16:52.904: #LWAPP-3-ECHO_ERR: spam_tmr.c:1407 Did not receive heartbeat reply; AP: 00:24:c4:a1:4b:14

*spamApTask7: Jan 31 17:14:54.233: #LOG-3-Q_IND: spam_l2.c:441 The system has received LWAPP packet with invalid sequence number (got 3expected 4) - from AP 00:24:c4:a1:4b:14[...It occurred 2 times.!]

*spamApTask0: Jan 31 17:13:56.212: #LWAPP-3-RX_ERR3: spam_l2.c:441 The system has received LWAPP packet with invalid sequence number (got 3expected 4) - from AP 00:24:c4:a1:4b:14

*spamApTask0: Jan 31 17:13:51.640: #LWAPP-3-PAYLOAD_MISSING: spam_lrad.c:6116  Join request does not contain BOARD_DATA payload

*emWeb: Jan 30 17:19:38.916: #SYSTEM-3-NOTIFY_SAVE_FAIL: nvstore.c:293 Failed to save data for a Non-volatile component. Registrar ID: 88.

*emWeb: Jan 30 17:19:05.070: #SYSTEM-3-NOTIFY_SAVE_FAIL: nvstore.c:293 Failed to save data for a Non-volatile component. Registrar ID: 42.

*spamApTask0: Jan 30 16:52:45.574: #LWAPP-3-ECHO_ERR: spam_tmr.c:1407 Did not receive heartbeat reply; AP: 00:24:c4:a1:4b:14

*spamApTask0: Jan 30 16:50:14.047: #LWAPP-3-PAYLOAD_MISSING: spam_lrad.c:6116  Join request does not contain BOARD_DATA payload

*nim_t: Jan 30 16:32:56.359: #SIM-3-PORT_UP: sim.c:11118 Physical port 2 is up!.

*nim_t: Jan 30 16:32:56.359: #SIM-3-PORT_UP: sim.c:11118 Physical port 1 is up!.

*fp_main_task: Jan 30 16:32:56.215: #CNFGR-3-INV_COMP_ID: cnfgr.c:2894 Invalid Component Id : Unrecognized (94) in cfgConfiguratorInit.

*fp_main_task: Jan 30 16:32:56.215: #LOG-3-Q_IND: bonjour_api.c:1040 Service specific query: Sending serice specific query failed[...It occurred 4 times.!]

*fp_main_task: Jan 30 16:32:55.908: #BONJOUR-3-SPECIFIC_QUERY_SEND_ERR: bonjour_api.c:1040 Service specific query: Sending serice specific query failed

*fp_main_task: Jan 30 16:32:06.796: #LOG-3-Q_IND: sisf_shim_utils.c:316 Internal error, NULL entry in sisf_sw_policy_get_cfg_ptr[...It occurred 3 times.!]

*fp_main_task: Jan 30 16:32:06.791: #SISF-3-INTERNAL: sisf_shim_utils.c:316 Internal error, NULL entry in sisf_sw_policy_get_cfg_ptr

*fp_main_task: Jan 30 16:32:00.393: #AVC-3-LOAD_CONF_FAILED: avc_cfg.c:241 AVC config is corrupted. Resetting AVC config to default.

*fp_main_task: Jan 30 16:31:54.908: #MM-3-MEMBER_ADD_FAILED: mm_dir.c:1196 Could not add Mobility Member. Reason: IP already assigned, Member-Count:1,MAC: 00:00:00:00:00:00, IP: 0.0.0.0

*mfpKeyRefreshTask: Jan 30 16:31:36.310: #SSHPM-3-NOT_INIT: bsnrandom.c:620 Random context not initialized

Hello again everybody,

After reading Arjen post and all of your next responses I wonder if you guys noticed that I've talking about APs that come with Mesh IOS from factory, this is the special thing about my scenario. I cannot convert Mesh to normal LWAPP, I've converted them to Stand Alone then LWAPP but they got back to Mesh.

Hope you can help with this.

Thank you!!

Have you deleted the image in flash and uploaded the lightweight rcv image?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Yes I followed up your suggestions but it still gets back to Mesh.

Yeah... I don't know... i usually go to rommon mode and wipe everything and then upload the rcv.  IF its still mesh, might as well put the mac address of the ap in the mac filter, let it join and change it to local mode.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Can you post the "dir" output from the AP again please?

Hi,

As mentioned before, I'm not an expert with all this. However, from what I read there is no difference in product number with mesh 1242 or normal 1242. 1242 just supports mesh. So wondering how you identify that yours is mesh OS. How can I check if mine is?

Thanks,
Arjen

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

If you change a local mode ap to bridge and then define it as a RAP or MAP, you will see mesh files in flash: like you said, there is no difference because you can wipe everything in flash if you want to.

-Scott

abeltman
Level 1
Level 1

Just wanted to give an update on this. I finally managed to solve the problem. I'm not sure if the error messages listed above are related to the change I made, but at least the LAP1242 are now registering to the WLC2500.

The setting I changed was under Security, AP Policies. I put a tick in the box for Accept Manufactured Installed Certificate (MIC) and now all AP's are registering.

I found this by debugging the CAPWAP events. This gave me another error: mic ap is not allowed to join by config

Hope this helps other people with the same problem. Especially interested if it solves the problem for rguzman even though his issue seems be related to MESH.

Regards,

Arjen

That is the tough part, because we assume that defaults have not been changed.  Accept Manufactured Installed Certificate (MIC) is enabled by default and the others are not and the only way to tell is through the debug or on the console of the AP.  Thanks for sharing what fixed your issue as it should help other in the future.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Thanks Arjen, I will see if it works in my case.

Thank you all for posting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card