Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 security with WLAN auto-anchor mobility

Aaron.Koves
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering if Layer 2 security can be used with auto-anchored WLANs.

I need to deploy two new isolated WLANs which will terminate in two DMZ environments.

I was hoping to use the existing WCS-managed infrastructure with 4404 and 4402 WLCs and just throw on a couple more WLANs.

However, I've built a little test environment and while I can get the new VLAN traffic tunneled and origininating from the correct anchor controller with no layer 2 security - as soon as I turn on WEP or WPA security options it stops working. I can't find anything in documents or this forum to show auto-anchor mobility with anyhing other than unsecured guest WLANs.

Am I trying to do somethng unsupported or is it just an error on my part?

4 Replies 4

Aaron.Koves
Level 1
Level 1

Never mind.

It appears I was just impatient :(

Waiting a few minutes after changing the layer 2 security settings resulted in successful tests.

D'oh.

grzegorz.ciolek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Aaron,

I have similar problem with one of my clients. But they need Layer 2 security with Guest access L3 security. Are you using L3 sec in your scenario?

Regards

Greg

Hi Greg,

no, the users are internal so I only want to use L2 security. I can't see that L3 should be a problem to add on though. I'm using 3.2.x of the WLC code - so there is no "Guest LAN" mode - I was playing with the new versions and it looks like L2 security is disabled in that mode?

If you want to see how I got my bit working I would be happy to share my doco when I'm done.

regards,

Aaron

Yeah I had the same problem. Can not use some L2 when L3 is set.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: