cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Link Down traps WLC3504

Cedric Metzger
Level 1
Level 1

On prime, I receive link down events for my 3504 WLC all the time for unused ports. I read that I have to set Link Trap to disable on the unused ports would help. I did that unter Controller > Ports and it shows me status "disable" for link trap on my unused ports. But I still receive the errors in Prime.

Do I really need to administratively disable the unused ports on my WLC to stop receiving these errors:

-----------

Alarm Condition: Link down
Message: Port '5' (Description: 'Not Available') is down on device '10.x.x.x'.
-----------
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It makes sense, if the port is used, that you receive notifications for link down and link up. But in my case the port is down the whole time, there is no cable plugged in or similar. And it still sends "reminder" snmp traps.

I just did what I assumed: I administratively disabled the port on the WLC. The traps stopped appearing. The Problem is the procedure:
1. I had to disable LAG on the WLC
2. reboot the WLC
3. disable the unused ports
4. Enable the LAG again
5. Because of enabling lag, ALL (!!!) WLANs, AP Groups, AAA Servers, Interfaces etc. on the WLC were deleted
6. I spent over an hour to fully configure my WLC again.

So here I am sitting and wondering, who was able to develop a software like this...

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Yes I think so, Prime is not very useful in regards to link up/down. I've completely disabled the notifications on Prime for those events.

I think it's more a problem of the WLC. I set "link traps" to disable. Why does the WLC still send SNMP Traps for this link? My mind just won't accept that.

Not sure if it really sends them.

If I remember correctly, when I added a switch to prime (snmp traps disabled on the switch), prime notified me of every single switchport changing its status. Up -> down = a mail. Down -> up = another mail. And this per port per switch. So I quickly disabled this completely. This was some years ago though, I haven't since used/added switches in Prime.

My WLCs (a 5520 SSO and 3504) have all ports set shutdown (Admin Status - Disable), besides the required ones.

It makes sense, if the port is used, that you receive notifications for link down and link up. But in my case the port is down the whole time, there is no cable plugged in or similar. And it still sends "reminder" snmp traps.

I just did what I assumed: I administratively disabled the port on the WLC. The traps stopped appearing. The Problem is the procedure:
1. I had to disable LAG on the WLC
2. reboot the WLC
3. disable the unused ports
4. Enable the LAG again
5. Because of enabling lag, ALL (!!!) WLANs, AP Groups, AAA Servers, Interfaces etc. on the WLC were deleted
6. I spent over an hour to fully configure my WLC again.

So here I am sitting and wondering, who was able to develop a software like this...

Oh yours is in LAG. I had my little WLC 3504 never with LAG enabled, then you can simply Enable/Disable every port.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card