Replies

Locally Switched / Centrally Switched on Flex Connect AP

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All,

Scenario (is this possible)

I have HQ Site (Site A) -with the WLC

I have a remote site (Site B) with one AP.

Site A has Internet Breakout. Site B doesn't

Is it possible with this one AP to have Multiple SSIDs, some of which are switched locally at the remote site and some which are switched centrally back at the HQ?

E.G I want to have SSID for the data vlan at Site B. Any Laptop connecting to this is dropped onto the Data VLAN.

I also want to have a GUEST SSID for Internet but have this traffic be tunneled back to HQ and use Internet Breakout there.

Is this possible?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

shh5455
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, you can have some SSIDs that are centrally switched and some locally switched on the same AP.

Hi,

How exactly is this done? Are the APs added to different AP groups. What mode does the AP need to be in what about the switchport config where the AP is plugged into? I was under the impression an AP was either flexconnect and traffic switched locally or local mode and traffic switched centrally.

On the advanced tab of the WLAN you can enable that SSID for FC Local Switching.  The AP then needs to be in Flexconnect mode.  You then go to the FC tab of the AP and define the local VLANs for the locally switched WLANs.  There will be 2 lists of SSIDs, locally switched and centrally switched.  Obviously you don't define VLANs for the centrally switched WLANs.

Whatever you define on the AP will overwrite the interface on the WLC.

AP Groups and FC Groups are not needed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card