Views
Helpful
Replies

Lower throughput on Flex SSIDs compared to Centralized SSIDs - WLC9800

Devinder Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I can use some advice on troubleshooting this issue. I have case opened with support for few days but have not made much progress. I am working on a project with Qty 2 of WLC9800 in HA and 220 AP9115ax.  WLCs are running latest TAC recommended 17.9.2 code. 300 Flexconnect APs on a single site have been supported for some time now.

We are doing some testing with parallel deployment of controllers with existing and with few new APs. Everything is working fine, but we wanted to test the max throughput available (via simple speedtest to Internet). The APs are terminated on catalyst 3850 / 9200 switches which in turn uplink to core 9400 via 10Gig each. The WLCs are connected via a portchannel  of 2 copper ports each to core  1Gig ports. Internet pipe is 2.5Gig commercial service on a 10Gig access fiber.

A guest SSID with PSK is setup for centralized switching and speed tests with APs set up in few locations, when measured with newer AX laptops is close to 750Mbps up and down (and with 200 plus AP1800/2800 still transmitting thru older 5K controllers). The AP9115x are set for best channel bandwidth and settle in 80MHz channels. APs are set up as flexconnect mode.

Then we added a 802.1x SSID in local switching mode with centralized authentication to NPS radius. The speeds achieved on same test clients drop down to 450Mbps.

Then I added a PSK SSID in local switching mode and speeds again on same test clients is close to 450Mbps up and down.

The same AP when sending encapsulated traffic direct to controller thru same uplinks results into 750Mbps speeds, but when the AP has to work to put a tag / untag on locally dropped traffic, it seems to gets bogged down to 450Mbps. Is this expected behavior from a 9115AX AP?

Thanks much in advance.

16 Replies 16

I run FlexConnect at home and I do have a nice lab/production and have no issues at all.  I have 9130's, 9120's, 4802's and a few 1815W.  I have tested both local and Flex with the same results.  I wouldn't assume that it's a tagging issue.  If I had a 9115, I would definitely would have tested that out for you, but I don't.  It's a very interesting "issue" and my curiosity would to be able to test that out in my environment.  I have iperf and openspeedtest running on a 10G connection and that is how I test various scenarios at home.  I also have a few 1G connected iperf units to test on some of my access switches.  I have ap's connected to mGig ports and some on 1G ports so I can validate stuff.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So the case is still open and they're still working on it right?
I hope you didn't let then close it!
It has to come down to one of 2 things - either you made a mistake in config somewhere which they need to tell you, or it's a bug in the AP software - in which case they need to raise a bug and get it fixed.  One way or the other there needs to be a definitive answer before they can close the case.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: