cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP and Catalyst Questions - QoS, STP, Etc.

ktorok
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Does anyone know how you should configure the QoS Settings for a catalyst switchport that is connected to the a Lightweight AP?

I would assume that if all the traffic is tunneled to the controller that you'd just trust COS or DSCP from the AP. I could not find any references to how you should configure your switchports for LWAPP deployments.

I would assume that portfast would be encouraged for the uplinks as well since the AP itself is an end host and not an infrastructure device capable of producing a bridging loopy anyhow.

Are there any other recommended settings for a switchport connected to the switchports?

Thanks in advance for any assistance one can offer.

Kurt

3 Replies 3

sethgarnar
Level 1
Level 1

Running over 1000 LWAPP APs our switch port config is simple

switchport mode access

switchport acc vlan XXX

spanning-t portf

This is all that is needed

Thanks. I did get that information from the configuration manuals and the APs do connect and work properly with the controller but more importantly I need to know what to do for the QoS settings.

The basic switch port by default does not trust or honor any QoS markings in L2 and L3 headers. Once you turn on QOS on the switch you set up your queues, add shaping/sharing, and trust commands you now get packets getting prioritized.

My real question is what QOS settings do I need on my swithports? If there is a tunnel between the AP and controller and it's encrypted, is the TOS Byte still in the clear and is it marked differently for every packet based on the QoS settings you setup in the controller for the 802.11 QoS settings? Then this would require you to type "mls qos trust dscp" on your switchports for the uplinks. You'd probably need a few other commands to make your LAN QoS optimized.

The reality of the situation is if I don't place some QoS settings on the ports, my VoWLAN traffic is going to become best effort traffic going from the AP through my LAN to my controller and to the end destination. This clearly isn't preferred. I'm actually kinda shocked that this isn't addressed anywhere. (Sadly, I fear the answer is that it's not possible since the tunnel is encrpted. This is going to require that your APs and controllers should be right next to one another and then once the data leaves the controller destined for the wired LAN that you classify/mark your traffic once it reaches the first switch.)

Any other ideas?

Kurt

If you have msl qos enabled on your switches, you should also add the command:

mls qos trust dscp

on all uplinks and connections to Access Points.

There is a doc that isn't very easy to follow but explains how it works:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807e9717.shtml

It would be nice if there were a doc showing recommended msl qos settings for wireless LAN controller deployment.

On a side note, if you use the switch GUI there are port macros that may have the appropriate settings for the AP at least (I have not used this).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: