cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC Filtering for 1100

mvitiello
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set MAC filtering on an 1100 AP but it locks me out by not providing me the correct DHCP addr.

5 Replies 5

dixho
Level 6
Level 6

Can you post the configuration please? What IOS software version do you use?

Here is the IOS.

System Software Filename: c1100-k9w7-tar.wnbu.20040209

System Software Version: 12.2(20040209:092053)

Bootloader Version: 12.2(4)JA

I am including the config as config.txt.

Note: I am only setting up MAC filtering. Broadcast is off.

I have tried with Broadcast on and off, same issue. I have also tried different MAC MASK as the documentation is different.

Basically, I cannot get a good DHCP address when I turn on MAC filtering.

The 1100 is connected to a Linksys Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41. It is giving out DHCP addr OK to the wired devices and to the AP.

I look at the configuration. There is no access list defined. Where is the access list configured? Can you define the access list and not apply to any interface?

Sorry about the wrong config. Here is the correct one I was using. Very simple filter. The main issue is the documentation and info online indicates I should use a different MAC MASK. For the mask I tried different combinations. fff.fff.fff, 0.0.0, f.f.f, fff.fff.000 and 0.0.f. None of these worked

What is the MAC address in the access list? Do you configure a DHCP relay agent between the AP and the DHCP server?

I assume that the MAC address in the access list is the MAC address of the fast ethernet interface of the AP. If this is the case, I have a couple of concerns:

1. You need to configure the access list to allow broadcast traffic. If you do not use a DHCP relay agent, the DHCP offer frame from the DHCP server to the AP is a layer 2 and 3 broadcast. The existing access list blocks the DHCP offer. Please add "access-list 700 permiet ffff.ffff.ffff 0000.0000.0000". Please go to the following URL for an example:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/ibm_c/bcprt1/bcdtb.htm#1004898

2. You need to add wireless clients' MAC in the access list. Otherwise, the AP cannot pick up any traffic to the wireless clinets from the fastethernet. interface

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card