Views
Helpful
Replies

MacOS 10.14 and 802.11r

timgrantham
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a 2x unit set-up with 3802i access points running mobility express.

While the iOS devices will successfully switch between both access points on the fly, MacOS system will stick to the old base station.

Have I missed any settings that the Mac requires such as does FT-PSK(802.11r) need to be enabled?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

-Tim

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
MacOS doesn’t support 802.11r but can still function in environments where it is enabled.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206207
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Use Adaptive 802.11r this will get you around the MACOS not supporting 802.11r

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Thanks for the replies!!

The problem I have is that several devices are sticking to the furthest access point, and as a result are getting poor performance. is there any way I can configure the access points to "refresh" and make the clients re-evaluate where they should connect?

Modify your data rates. Disabling the lower data rates helps force roaming as long as you have enough coverage.
-Scott

I've got the 2.4 set to 11 and 5 set to 24.

Would Optimized Roaming be able to assist here?

Not sure what settings would work best if this is the answer.

I've got the 2.4 set to 11 and 5 set to 24.

Would Optimized Roaming be able to assist here?

Not sure what settings would work best if this is the answer.

It's at times like this that I wish I had studied harder lol

Thanks for your help!!

I don’t think that would help. I have a MacBook Pro and no issues roaming. You need to look at if it’s specific to a certain device or device type. Decisions are made by the device not by the wireless. If for example the other AP has many clients and is very utilized, then the device might not want to roam.
-Scott

That’t the annoying thing, I have 2x AP’s about 20m apart in the office, and all the devices seem to want to connect to AP-02, where AP-01 is closer and doesn’t have any clients connected - devices will power on and instantly connect to AP-02, which will be the furthest one from the device, and have the weaker signal.

You sure it’s not an issue with your AP? Have you done any site survey to check signal and or interference.
-Scott

Duplicate...

You could test around with 802.11v (enabling it) and client load balance/band select, but the second has various caveats.
Check here for the functionality/limitations: https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/load-balancing-and-band-select-on-the-cisco-wireless-lan/ta-p/3128513#toc-hId-1720747927
Don't forget, in the end the client decides to which AP it will associate.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card