Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

main differences between light weight AP's and Catalyst AP's

Hi all, I understand that latest LWAP's support Cisco Mobility Express and that Catalyst AP's support embedded WLC... is there any other relevant or major difference between them? (apart from the price) ?

I am planning to setup a small home lab for learning purposes only.

Also, does licensing works exactly the same for both LWAP and Catalyst AP's?

Thanks all!

Aldo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't go with the Mobility Express, go straight with the EWC if you want a the controller function internal to the ap.  Mobility Express is no longer being deployed and the IOS-XE version is so much better.  If you have a hypervisor, you can spin up a 9800-CL which is free and deploy the 9x00 access points.  I prefer using a controller separate, but that is me, seems easier for me to set up.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mobility Express/eWLC have limited WLC functionality, aka WLC Lite, and primarily aimed for SOHO/SMB deployment.  

jagan.chowdam
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Refer the link for feature comparison - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-11/matrix/MEandEWCFeatureComparisonMatrix.html

This is a bit dated document, but will help in comparing ME & EWC

CJ

/** Please rate all useful responses **/

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't go with the Mobility Express, go straight with the EWC if you want a the controller function internal to the ap.  Mobility Express is no longer being deployed and the IOS-XE version is so much better.  If you have a hypervisor, you can spin up a 9800-CL which is free and deploy the 9x00 access points.  I prefer using a controller separate, but that is me, seems easier for me to set up.

-Scott

for the Catalyst AP's I have found one models with EWC (the 9105i), one with embedded wlc, so is the Catalyst 9105i the only one that have EWC based?

Another question, once I order the 9105i, do I need to do something additional to enable or install the EWC features or does it comes all enabled and ready to go by default?

9800.png

Thanks all! 

Aldo

All Cisco c9100 series APs support EWC.

Refer the following URL for supported AP list as well as step by step configuration help

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/white-paper-c11-743398.html

Make sure to verify "Prerequisites for deploying the EWC". 

CJ

All the 9x00 ap's support EWC.  I would go with a 9120 or 9130, mid to enterprise models.  This FAQ will also help answer other questions you might have.

Cisco Embedded Wireless Controller on Catalyst Access Points FAQ - Cisco

-Scott

thanks thanks and thanks!!!!

Just make sure that you take a look at some blogs and or videos for the EWC.  That helped me in the past when I first tried to setup EWC.  

Initial Configuration for Embedded Wireless Controller – Haifeng's Blog (lihaifeng.net)

Cisco Embedded Wireless Controller on Catalyst Access Points - WifiReference.com

How to Convert Cisco C9115 to Embedded Wireless Controller (EWC) (rowelldionicio.com)

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card