cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maintenance cause: All ports are down; Peer State: UNKNOWN - Communication Down

jaheshkhan
Level 4
Level 4

We have 2 wireless controllers( model : AIR-CT3504-K9) in HA. now its showing non redundant state as mentioned below:

Can any body tell what could be be the reason? why maintenance cause says all ports are down. what does it means?

now secondary is in maintenance state.

Please help and how to resolve this issue

Redundancy Information
Redundancy Mode.................................. SSO ENABLED
Local State...................................... MAINTENANCE
Peer State....................................... UNKNOWN - Communication Down
Unit............................................. Secondary
Unit ID.......................................... B0:90:7E:7F:38:00
Redundancy State................................. Non Redundant
Mobility MAC..................................... B0:90:7E:7E:ED:80
Maintenance Mode................................. Enabled
Maintenance cause................................ All ports are down
Redundancy Management IP Address................. 172.20.26.4
Peer Redundancy Management IP Address............ 172.20.26.3
Redundancy Port IP Address....................... 169.254.26.4
Peer Redundancy Port IP Address.................. 169.254.26.3

Redundancy Information
Redundancy Mode.................................. SSO ENABLED
Local State...................................... ACTIVE
Peer State....................................... UNKNOWN - Communication Down
Unit............................................. Primary
Unit ID.......................................... B0:90:7E:7E:ED:80
Redundancy State................................. Non Redundant
Mobility MAC..................................... B0:90:7E:7E:ED:80
Redundancy Management IP Address................. 172.20.26.3
Peer Redundancy Management IP Address............ 172.20.26.4
Redundancy Port IP Address....................... 169.254.26.3
Peer Redundancy Port IP Address.................. 169.254.26.4

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Please refer the link for the possible causes of the Standby WLC going to Maintenance mode Maintenance Mode on Cisco HA SSO

In order to bring back the HA, You have to take Standby WLC reboot via console, Make the reach-ability checks prior to the reboot.

Regards,
Sathiyanarayanan Ravindran

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)

View solution in original post

RaffyLindogan
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi mate,

Check if the redundant port is down.

Also see if you can ping the peer ip.

Just want to ask as well if there was any changes that was done on your network before this happen?

You can reboot the one on Maintenance Mode if it was initially configured as primary without affecting your network.

The other controller will still be the active one.

Cheers,

Raffy

jaheshkhan
Level 4
Level 4

This is what I did:
1. Verify the current configuration has saved or not. if not save the configuration.
2. Do backup of current configuration.
3. login active to wireless controller from gui and check the redundancy details under "MONITOR" menu
4. Verify the redundancy status using command : show redundancy summary
5. restart the Wireless controller in maintenance mode. in my case it was secondary.
6. while restarting the secondary WLC that was in maintenance mode, check the "Bulksync status" of redundancy summary in primary WLC and wait for until it turn as "Complete".

8 Replies 8

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On the secondary WLC can you do a:

wlc show interface summary

To me its the RP port and the management interface on that WLC are down

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Please refer the link for the possible causes of the Standby WLC going to Maintenance mode Maintenance Mode on Cisco HA SSO

In order to bring back the HA, You have to take Standby WLC reboot via console, Make the reach-ability checks prior to the reboot.

Regards,

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)

If I reboot secondary will it impact primary? we cannot have downtime for primary.

While rebooting the Standby it will boot and try to join the HA pair, Primary will not get rebooting during this process. 

But make sure that Redundancy port is connected properly and reach-abilities are there to the gateway.

Regards,

RaffyLindogan
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi mate,

Check if the redundant port is down.

Also see if you can ping the peer ip.

Just want to ask as well if there was any changes that was done on your network before this happen?

You can reboot the one on Maintenance Mode if it was initially configured as primary without affecting your network.

The other controller will still be the active one.

Cheers,

Raffy

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"Maintenance" means the two WLC are running different firmware versions.

jaheshkhan
Level 4
Level 4

This is what I did:
1. Verify the current configuration has saved or not. if not save the configuration.
2. Do backup of current configuration.
3. login active to wireless controller from gui and check the redundancy details under "MONITOR" menu
4. Verify the redundancy status using command : show redundancy summary
5. restart the Wireless controller in maintenance mode. in my case it was secondary.
6. while restarting the secondary WLC that was in maintenance mode, check the "Bulksync status" of redundancy summary in primary WLC and wait for until it turn as "Complete".

rsreeves1
Level 1
Level 1
Maintenance Mode................................. Enabled
Maintenance cause................................ All ports are down

Just FYI, while a controller is in Maintenance Mode, it will administratively disable all ports except the Service and Console ports, leaving it otherwise cut off from the network and its HA peer. I'm guessing the reason you would see this listed as the Maintenance cause is that its status would be communicated across the Redundancy Port during the boot-up sequence prior to disabling the RP.

If you really wanted to find out for sure, you could create a scenario for a controller to go into Maint-Mode (for example, temporarily unplug the cable from the Redundancy Port on either WLC), then watch the console of both controllers while it boots up. The SSO negotiation happens towards the end of the boot sequence (make sure the RP has been reconnected). Hopefully one controller or the other will display messages reflecting the above status. I would try it myself but don't currently have a pair of test controllers at my disposal.

Hope this helps!

-Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: