Helpful
Replies

Manage remote APs by local WLC

yasaman64
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

this is my issue, I hope someone can help me with this:

i am new to wireless and i have two sites in two diffrenet subnets connecting together by MPLS and I need to have a wireless controller on one site to manage both local and remote APs. do i have to configure something on the controller?APs? the MPLS routers?

Thanks

26 Replies 26

Thanks, so i can configure the APs with static IPs and then creat a route to WLC ip through DG?

Correct, the commands are:

AP#lwapp ap hostname AP1240
AP#lwapp ap ip address 10.77.244.199  255.255.255.224
AP#lwapp ap ip default-gateway 10.77.244.220
AP#lwapp ap controller ip address 172.16.1.50

or

AP#capwap ap hostname AP1240
AP#capwap ap ip address 10.77.244.199  255.255.255.224
AP#capwap ap ip default-gateway 10.77.244.220
AP#capwap ap controller ip address 172.16.1.50

This can only be configured via the console port and if the AP has not joined a WLC
previusley.

If it had join a WLC previusley then you will need to reset the AP to defaults so that
you can use the commands.

Also do not forget to leave the LWAPP or CAPWAP ports open for the LWAPP tunnel to work.

CAPWAP UDP ports  5246 and 5247 and  the LWAPP UDP ports 12222 and 12223

If the WLC has code previous then 5.2 it uses LWAPP protocl for the tunnel, if the WLC
has code 5.2 or higher it uses CAPWAP for the LWAPP tunnel.

Thank you so much

No problem.

-Don’t forget to rate us and mark case as resolved accordingley-

yasaman64
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a problem now, I brought up the AP and the factory default it and then gave it an ip address, DG and Ip address of the controller and there is a correct route between my sites but it still cant connect to the Controller, is there anything else i should do?

thanks.

Hey there ...

1 - From the AP from the CLI can you ping the WLC ip address

2 - Check the WLC and then click satistics on the lft hand side then ap join. Do you see your AP?

3 - Restart the AP and from the CLI gather what is being shown and post it here

4 - On the WLC do a DEBUG CAPWAP EVENTS and post it here

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

yasaman64
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your help on this,

ifI want to go with DHCP option 43, and I have APs and the controller other than cisco, can i still go with this option?

and how can i find the "option34 sub-option code" and the "vendor class indentifier" in that case?

Thanks again

Do you mean can you use option 43 with another vendors product ? You need to consult with that vendor. Options 43 and VCI 60 is hardcoded into the access points for LWAPP/CAPWAP .

What other vendor aps / controllers do you have. I may be able to help. I worked with other vendor products.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I also have dell aruba 105 APs and Powerconnect w3400 for controller...

Ok, lets be clear your cisco aps will not join the aruba controller and the aruba aps will not join the cisco contoller.

Its a cardinal SIN to post "Aruba" on the CIsco forum .. But yes, option 43 is an option to use. Check out the Airheads site         

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ArubaOS-and-Mobility-Controllers/Why-Doesn-t-My-Aruba-Access-Point-Find-My-Controller-Part-1-7-05/td-p/18906

oh really? well I have both, and i only have the aruba in my remote site.

thank you so much for your help

We use both Aruba and Cisco.

You're definitely not going to get your non-cisco AP's to join your cisco controller.

You'll need to either run your Aruba APs in IAP mode (convert them back to fatty) or use an Aruba controller.  If they're in lightweight mode, as long as they know the IP of the Aruba controller, they'll join up.

The Aruba controller can still have the same SSID's, routes, etc and play nicely.

Ven

Ven Taylor
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card