Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Managing configurations in a N+1 HA setup

I have 4 locations and each has a 2504 WLC.  I purchased another controller to create a N+1 configuration.  What is the best practice for managing the configurations?  I originally thought that the configuration of each controller would some how be saved to the HA +1 device so that if one failed the +1 device would auto-magically load the failed devices configuration.  That doesn't appear to be the case.

1 Reply 1

Kundan Prasad
Level 1
Level 1

When it comes to redundancy, basically we use either HA-SKU Controller with each WLC or N+1 HA SKU Controller [can be HA SKU (AIR-CT2504-HA-K9 - supports 75 AP) or normal one with minimum of 5 AP License - AIR-CT2504-5-K9 can be converted to HA SKU secondary WLC].

In your case you have got a new WLC, you need to make sure that you have sufficient license available (I think you already have license) in your new WLC to support all the AP's which are currently with 4 different locations, if WLC's fails.

Configure your new WLC as it is like all other WLC and give WLC name and IP info to High availability tab of AP.

You can infact also use your new wlc as HA SKU if it has atleast 5 AP License to support max hardware capacity, meaning if it is 2504 normal controller with minimum 5 AP License and if you are converting it to HA SKU then it can handle 75 AP.

* The best practice would be to buy AIR-CT2504-HA-K9 (HA-SKU UDI - 0 License) WLC and configure this for N+1 HA for all the 4 WLC if you cannot keep HA SKU WLC with each one.

To configure N+1 HA, use this command..

Primary WLC : config advanced backup-controller primary backup_controller_name backup_controller_IP_address

To configure normal controller to HA-SKU secondary WLC, use this command..

config redundancy unit secondary

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: