cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Max client(200) reached on WLAN.

flytruman
Level 1
Level 1

I am a wireless LAN mobile device developer.

My customer is using WLC CT-8504-K9/8.3.140.0.  It was released on Jan/30/2019.

Problem is my device can't associated the customer AP as below debug client log.

But, number of clients connected to the AP is few.

*apfMsConnTask_3: Apr 22 16:20:13.873: [PA]  Max Client Trap Threshold: 0 cur: 6

*apfMsConnTask_3: Apr 22 16:20:13.873: [PA]  Rf profile 600 Clients are allowed to AP wlan

*apfMsConnTask_3: Apr 22 16:20:13.873: [PA]  Max client(200) reached on WLAN. Sending assoc resp failure with reason code 17(max_sta)

Two related Cisco bugs were found.
CSCve81314 / CSCvk42225

CSCve81314  : Known fixed Relased:8.3.140.0.  

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCve81314?rfs=iqvred

CSCvk42225  : Affected release 8.5 (131.0).

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvk42225

But  8.5 (131.0) was released on Fe/12/2021.

Can the CSCvk42224 bug also affected to 8.3.140.0?

My clients say the problem is caused by a mobile device, but I can't agree with it.
Our company doesn't have a Cisco license, so i can't ask Cisco directly, so please help.

4 Replies 4

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

First thing to do is to upgrade to the latest recommended release 8.5.171 which is EoL, or upgrade to the recommended release for AireOS 8.10.171.0 before analysing anything, as latest releases use to fix known defects and improve reliability.

And yes, Cisco marks the release where the bug was found and it is supposed that previous releases are also affected.

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please rate helpful responses ***

Sounds unlike I know but first you need to make sure this information is not true..I mean, if you have a huge area crownded by people and only one Access Point, we could see this happen. I´ve seeing  150 people per AP easily.

But, if you make sure the AP is not that loaded and the this situation happens, then probably is a bug.

What you can since you have this level of access on the WLC, is create a new SSID and try to use it. You can use PSK for test only. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@flytruman wrote:

Our company doesn't have a Cisco license, so i can't ask Cisco directly, so please help.

Sez who, exactly? 

There is a way to legally get Cisco firmware even without a valid Service Contract.  Here are the steps: 

1. [VERY IMPORTANT] Know the exact filename and the link to where the filename is "located".  
  2. Read this:  Cisco IOS XE Software for Catalyst 9800 Series and Cisco AireOS Software for Cisco WLC Flexible NetFlow Version 9 Denial of Service Vulnerability
  3. Scroll down to the "Customers Without Service Contract" section: 

Customers who purchase directly from Cisco but do not hold a Cisco service contract and customers who make purchases through third-party vendors but are unsuccessful in obtaining fixed software through their point of sale should obtain upgrades by contacting the Cisco TAC.

Customers should have the product serial number available and be prepared to provide the URL of this advisory as evidence of entitlement to a free upgrade.

4.  Provide TAC engineer the filename and the link to the location of the file is located.  

NOTE:  Do not call/phone TAC.  Send TAC an email will suffice.

in WLC global 
check idle timeout reduce may be it can solve your issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card