cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mDNS and 7.4 directory Services

charliey_2000
Level 1
Level 1

So we have downloaded 7.4 to see what it could offer for bonjour services.  We are currently using local mode with centralized controllers, not flexconnect.  So it looks like you can filter mDNS via profile by interface or ssid.  So if we are using a global ssid with the same interface then how does the 7.4 mDNS help us filter bonjour services.  I was hoping you could apply by AP group. 

If the bonjour device is on the wired network how does the centralized controller know about the devices, do all bonjour service devices have to be on the wireless network.  It looks like the controller queries for the bonjour services.  I am guessing it queries only the interfaces it knows about.  I know it just came out but I dont see much documenation on it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stefan.angerer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you can use mDNS profiles on an AP group level if you do a little trick: simply create two (or more) different WLAN profiles, all of them with the same SSID name, but one with mDNS snooping enabled and one with mDNS disabled (or more WLAN profiles with several mDNS profiles). Note: you need to assign WLAN IDs > 16 to these profiles for not having all of them in the default AP group. Then you can assign these WLAN profiles to the AP groups - that gives you the same SSID but a different mDNS behaviour.

Regarding your second question: wired devices offering services via Bonjour are supported, but the WLC needs to have a dynamic interface in each VLAN you expect a wired Bonjour device.

Hope that helps,

Stefan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

stefan.angerer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you can use mDNS profiles on an AP group level if you do a little trick: simply create two (or more) different WLAN profiles, all of them with the same SSID name, but one with mDNS snooping enabled and one with mDNS disabled (or more WLAN profiles with several mDNS profiles). Note: you need to assign WLAN IDs > 16 to these profiles for not having all of them in the default AP group. Then you can assign these WLAN profiles to the AP groups - that gives you the same SSID but a different mDNS behaviour.

Regarding your second question: wired devices offering services via Bonjour are supported, but the WLC needs to have a dynamic interface in each VLAN you expect a wired Bonjour device.

Hope that helps,

Stefan

charliey_2000
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks I guess different WLAN with same SSID is an option.  Just would be nice with Cisco would have included that capabilities natively.  I thought I heard them mention it was something they were going to include.  The only thing with SSID and using a product like NCS was that you could not specify the WLAN ID.  I wonder if they address that in prime.  I guess I will find out. 

Specifying the WLAN ID is a feature that will (finally) be adressed in the upcoming release of Prime Infrastructure.

Regards

Stefan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card