Views
Helpful
Replies

Meraki Wireless - SSID in Local Mode as available on Cisco WLCs

oguarisco
Level 3
Level 3

Dear all,

I'm familiar with Unified Wireless Solution but not with Meraki one...

I need to find out if Meraki is a possible solution to be implemented instead of WLCs in the following environment:

- more Internal SSID in FlexConnect Mode (in WLCs Central Authentication and Local Switching at the first L2/L3 switch);

- one Guest SSID in Local Mode (in WLCs Central Authentication and Central Switching at the Wireless Controller);
The Guest WLAN is terminated at the Controller and the traffic before reaching Internet is intercepted by a Gateway which present the Splash Page to Users.

Is it possible with Meraki APs to have a Local Mode SSID so the User traffic is tunnelized from the APs to the Wireless Controller? To do that should we have an AP dedicated since Meraki is controller-less solution?

Thanks a lot for the support

BR

Omar

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Meraki is cloud so it is very different from Unified. Meraki APs are connect to a trunk port so basically everything will terminate to the switch the AP is connected to.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Hi Scott,

I thought it was not possible but maybe with a dedicated Meraki AP configured in special mode it would/could be supported...

Thanks a lot for the confirmation...I'll definitiveli stay on Unified Wireless with WLC HW.

BR

Omar

What Scott mentioned is the "basic operation" of Meraki APs. But there is also the possibility to tunnel everything (configurable per SSID) to a Meraki MX Security-Appliance which gives you basically what you have on the WLC with Local mode.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Meraki is cloud so it is very different from Unified. Meraki APs are connect to a trunk port so basically everything will terminate to the switch the AP is connected to.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

I thought it was not possible but maybe with a dedicated Meraki AP configured in special mode it would/could be supported...

Thanks a lot for the confirmation...I'll definitiveli stay on Unified Wireless with WLC HW.

BR

Omar

What Scott mentioned is the "basic operation" of Meraki APs. But there is also the possibility to tunnel everything (configurable per SSID) to a Meraki MX Security-Appliance which gives you basically what you have on the WLC with Local mode.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card