Views
Helpful
Replies

Mesh network in overcrowded channels

Martin Zipperer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a mesh network consisting of about 30 MAPs and 10 RAPs(1552E), which are controlled by a 5508. The area which needs to be covered is mainly consisting of tents.

The problem is, this area is overcrowded by access points which interfere with our system. Clients complain about getting disconnected and having problems to receive an ip address, especially during the evening hours.

The APs show a channel utilization of 80-100% in the 2,4gh spectrum(no wonder with all those rogue aps). It's not that bad in the 5ghz spectrum, which is why I activated backhaul user access. The connection got better but it's still far from beeing stable.

Is there anything I can do except for unplugging the rogue access points? I know that it's hard to communicate if the channels are on their maximum, but maybe there is a way to improve it

Cheers

3 Replies 3

Anas Naqvi
Level 1
Level 1

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

You can use directional antennae with high gain inorder to have cell isolation which will decrease the interference and increase air quality.

Johannes Luther
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Martin,

Maybe using indoor mesh APs inside the tents.

I guess the APs have a higher receive sensitivity than the usual weak clients like phones or tablets.

This will result in a more crowded wireless environment in the 2,4 GHz band for everybody else - but who cares as long as it works

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card