Helpful
Replies

Mesh solution of CISCO Wireless Controller 9800 and Outdoor 1560E

khang2711
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

I have one scenario and please help:

- I have 14 x 50m lightmask outdoor and all install HP AP 330 (end of life). The existing diagram as below:

+ Client connect to AP HP330 by 2.4 Ghz -- connect by cabling 1gbps to Allied outdoor --> connect to Coreswitch - connect to Wireless controller. 

Now, we use WLC 9800 and AP 1560 with 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz to replace all HP 330. So, my question: 

1. I install AP 1560 with 2 antenna 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz and I can configure manual channel to avoid interfere with exiting HP AP 330? (because the sea port operate, and we only are replace 1 AP by week). 

2. With existing diagram, I can configure wireless cisco as below scenario: 

+ Client connect to Cisco AP by 2.4 Ghz and then connect to Controller. 

+ If access switch that AP connect to by wired has problem, Client connect to Cisco AP by 2.4 Ghz and from AP connect to neighbor by 5ghz and then use wired from AP neighbor to connect to controller. 

In configuration, the first priority AP use cabling to transfer data from Client to Server. If Swtich has problem or cable has problem, AP will use 5ghz with configuration Mesh to connect to neighbor AP and transfer data. 

So, Cisco solution can do that?

Thanks a lot. 

2 Replies 2

saravlak
Spotlight
Spotlight

feature you're looking for is Backhaul client access in Cisco's Mesh world using WLC.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-1/deployment-guide/c9800-mesh-rel-17-1.pdf

Universal Access
You can configure the backhaul on mesh access points to accept client traffic over its 802.11radio. This feature is identified as Backhaul Client Access in the controller When this feature is disabled, backhaul traffic is transmitted only over the 802.11a/ac radio and client association is allowed only over the second radio. Backhaul Client Access is disabled by default. After this feature is enabled, all mesh access points, except slave AP and its child APs in Daisychained deployment on 1500 series APs, reboot.

The target resource you're trying to access can be across WLC(uses capwap) or with-in mesh network(uses Cisco's native awpp protocol).

khang2711
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot for your answer. However, I would like to make clearly on this scenario (you can refer to picture attachment) 

AP Outdoor 1560E has 2 antenna: 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. 

AP-1 and AP-2 connect to Outdoor switch by copper cable and has a optical cable to connect to core Switch. 

AP-3 and AP-4 don't connect to Outdoor switch. 

In this case, if we prefer to configure as below: 

Scenario 1: Handheld connect to AP-01, AP-02 by 2.4ghz and follow optical cable to connect to WLC. If Switch outdoor of AP-01 or AP-02 downs, then handheld clients connect to AP-01 by 2.4ghz and transfer data từ AP-01 o AP-02 by 5ghz and then AP-02 will follow optical fiber to transfer to WLC (we assumption, if switch outdoor dies, AP only loose fiber connect from Outdoor Switch to Core Switch; AP still have power to operate). 

Scenario 2: AP-03 and AP-04 has an distance about 100m to AP-01 and AP-02. Because we can't install optical fiber, so AP-03 will use 5ghz to connect to AP-01 and AP-04 will use 5ghz to connect to AP-02. So, client connect to AP-03 by 2.4ghz and from AP-03 transfer to AP-01 by 5 ghz. In this scenario, we use parallel: Optical cable from AP-01, AP-02 to controller and mesh 5ghz from AP-03, AP-04 to AP-01, AP-02. So Cisco can support the scenario?

3. If in this solution, 1 AP can use cable and 5ghz for mesh, AP has ability to get priority to transfer data on Cable than 5ghz? 

I see HPE can work all that. So, now I am a newbie of Cisco, so I need to make sure Cisco can do. 

Thanks a lot for your support. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card