cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MIB OID to get number of Wireless Clients currently associated to an AP?

dboyko
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco 350 Series AP's, 12.0.2T1, and I've been wading through the countless MIB OID's looking for that magical one that tells me the number of client cards that are CURRENTLY associated with the AP. I'm trying to develop a "usage meter" for Management Level dashboard, i.e. "Lookie See how many devices are on our Wireless Network right now!" Any other suggestions appreciated.

3 Replies 3

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Couple of objects from AWCVX-MIB that you can look at:

awcFtClientSTASelf (.1.3.6.1.4.1.522.3.12.1.8)

awcDot11TpFdbAddress (.1.3.6.1.4.1.522.3.12.5.1.1)

awcDot11TpFdbAID (.1.3.6.1.4.1.522.3.12.5.1.2)

if the AID is between 2 and 2007 inclusive, then the client is associated to the AP you are polling.

Very Helpful. The first OID mentioned gives me what I'm looking for except that it's the number of associations on the particular AP I'm polling. Is there a way to get the whole number on the "system", so I don't have to poll a hundred AP's and add their results together?

I found the OID just before this one in the same table:

awcFtClientSTA OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.522.3.12.1.7

gives me almost what I need, in that it's for the whole system, but it includes in it's count the wireless clients who were associated, but no longer are (in the UnAuth state).

Now, if only there was an object that excluded the UnAuth state clients, or one that told me how many were UnAuth so I could subtract from awcFtClientSTA????

On this topic of SNMP graphing, has anyone else graphed any other bits of information. Im currently playing with MRTG to document load, users and the like, but it would be nice to be able to do signal, noise etc per client. Anyone got any tips on how this can be achieved? Just getting the associations graph is useful in itself.

Cheers,

Greg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card