cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating 5508 Copper SFP to Fiber SFP. Is it hot swap? Any considerations?

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

I have a Cisco 5508 WLC that currently has 4 copper RJ45 gigabit SFP modules plugged in and uplinked to our core.  Our core has many of its copper 1/10 Gbps interfaces used so we are migrating anything we can to fiber SFP since those slots are plentiful.

If I remove these copper SFP's from the Cisco 5508 and replace them with Fiber optic 850 nm mm 1gbps SFP's, is there anything else I would have to do on the WLC?

The reason I ask is that on a Cisco 2901 router in an EHWIC card, you can insert the fiber optic SFP, but it does not go live until you go into the interface and issue a shut, then a no shut command... then the ehwic sees the fiber optic SFP inserted and prefers that interface.  Is there anything similar I need to do on the WLC, or is it all hot swappable?

We are on WLC version 8.3.141.0.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Everything went smoothy.  On the switch side, the ports were preconfigured with appropriate vlans and link aggregation.  Our WLC is already using LAG.

Pulled out two copper sfp's and dropped in two fiber ones.  They arrow shaped LED's came on blinking.  Connected fiber jumpers and they lit solid green.  Did the other two SFP's and the same experience.  No issues, we are now fiber uplinked to same two cores with the mlag setup and its working well.  Everything was hot swap.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

superego
Level 1
Level 1

I presume that you're migrating from copper to fiber SFP during the maintenance window.  Usually port comes up when you swap SFP but in your case i since you're changing the port in the switch side as well, just bear in mind if you do LAG in your WLC that you do a port-channel in your switch and might require a reboot.

Check that port is up on 'show interface status' in the switch and you can see cdp neighbor 'WLC' and do a ping/connectivity test after.

Everything went smoothy.  On the switch side, the ports were preconfigured with appropriate vlans and link aggregation.  Our WLC is already using LAG.

Pulled out two copper sfp's and dropped in two fiber ones.  They arrow shaped LED's came on blinking.  Connected fiber jumpers and they lit solid green.  Did the other two SFP's and the same experience.  No issues, we are now fiber uplinked to same two cores with the mlag setup and its working well.  Everything was hot swap.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
It should be fine on the controller.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: