Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from AP’s Mobility Express to C9800-CL

aleopoldie
Level 3
Level 3

Hello experts,

I plan to migrate a wifi infrastructure from Mobility Express to a controller C9800-CL and I have a doubt concerning the steps to follow. (There are 2 sites including one where I won’t be able to connect to AP’s over console as il is a remote site)

Right now all AP’s are ME capable. 

Do I need to first convert AP’s to lightweight <=> non ME capable ? If yes, what about the AP which is the current WLC ? Can I convert it directly so it will join the C9800 ?

I am afraid especially for the remote site, I do not want to loose hand on the AP’s...

Thank you,

A.

1 Reply 1

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Before you convert them make sure of the following:

Subnet that the APs are on can communicate to the 9800 WLC with all allowed ports

APs have a way of discovering the WLC via DHCP option 43 or DNS

After that it shouldn't be an issue coverting the AP following this guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-2/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide_chapter_01100.html

As long as the AP keeps an IP address you should still have access to it to convert back to ME if anything goes wrong.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card