cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Express vs EWC

jmprats
Level 4
Level 4

Mobility Express and AireOs are legacy and it seems that they will disappear with the EoL of Cisco 802.11ac AP
The option for small networks is to migrate to EWC.

Mobility Express and AireOs were great for those small networks and were very easy to manage

Now, I've been doing some testing with EWC and it's really complicated. You have to create tags, profiles and WLAN for a single SSID to work!

I don't know if it's just me or I have to get used to the new configuration model, but EWC doesn't seem like a product for a small network to me. Too much complexity.

Perhaps Meraki is a better product for those cases, but you can't migrate from Mobility Express to Meraki without changing all the APs.

Maybe someone with experience in such cases can shed some light.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I'd recommend 17.6.4 as a good starting point (as long as you don't need to support wave 1 APs) but always check the TAC recommended link in my signature below.
Yes 9800 is quite different and takes some getting used to - you just have to stop thinking in AireOS terms.  Having it all in IOS-XE is a huge plus factor for me. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-11/matrix/MEandEWCFeatureComparisonMatrix.html , in the end EWC is more embedded 9800 and you need all those tags but it is not that complicated. As you also state modern access points will need EWC. You can also use WirelessAnalyzer to inspect an EWC configuration   with the CLI command : show  tech   wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer.               Checkout all advisories!

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for the info. Any recommended version for begin a new EWC installation with C9120AX?

- Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html , check it out for all compliance issues and info's

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I'd recommend 17.6.4 as a good starting point (as long as you don't need to support wave 1 APs) but always check the TAC recommended link in my signature below.
Yes 9800 is quite different and takes some getting used to - you just have to stop thinking in AireOS terms.  Having it all in IOS-XE is a huge plus factor for me. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: