Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Groups between WLCs across the WAN

sivai2tech
Level 1
Level 1

Experts,

I have 2 sites(A&B), which are connected via a WAN connection. I have 2 WLCs at the site A(main) and have 2 WLCs at site B(branch).

Can I make the mobility groups work across the WAN for site B(in case both the WLCs go down)?

EoIP tunnel, is possible?

Thank You,

S

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As long as you have ip connectivity you can create mobility groups across controllers. I don't know that I would do that. Keep in mind mobility messages will be shared across this link ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with George. You only need to have mobility between the two buildings if you have roaming between the two buildings. If the buildings are far apart, then there is no need for a mobility group to be the same.

You already have two WLC's at each site, so you already have redundancy.

If you had a campy environment and the buildings are in the same campus the I might have all the WLC's in the same mobility group, but that's as long as I know that I want seamless roaming and have coverage to roam from one building to the next.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks George & Scott for your reply.

Yes, It makes sense that create seperate mobility groups for each site as each site has 2 WLC.

Thanks,

S

my2c.

Mobility messages shared across wan link unencrypted.

wan bandwidth consumed for all mobility exchanges.

if fallback required, Add the remote WLCs on option 43/dns. on one local wlc failure if the other wlc doesn't have the enough capacity then the remaining APs go join the wlc across wan, seamless roaming doesn't happen when clients move between the APs joined on local and remote wlcs until that local wlc come backup.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card