Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring solution/telemetry for wireless systems

Hi folks,

for a client of ours we would like to implement a solution where the DNAC takes care of all the measurements and monitoring of the wireless systems.

I was told that Cisco for such purposes uses also some IoT provided of wired/wireless interfaces no bigger than a RaspBerry boxes that can be spread all around in the environment especially where end-users devices are normally located. In this way the data gathered are much more similar to that exchanged by the end devices and hence tests and data collected are more reprentatives than those where collection is done through one of the antennas of the AP.

Does anyone know what's the name of the product? I don't seem to find any thing on the Cisco's site or maybe I haven't sought in the correct way.

TIA

Gio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@GioacchinoInfanti wrote:

"In 2019, I was told of a Catalyst 9k meant to replace the 1800s but never materialized.".

Mea culpa.  Now I get what you mean. 

Let me start by saying that Cisco paid someone a king's ransom by renaming a lot of Cisco products.  Wireless APs and routers are now called "Catalyst" -- Just to make things "clear" in everyone's mind.  

What I was trying to say was, "In 2019, I was told of a Catalyst 9100 Network Sensor meant to replace the 1800s but never materialize."

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The PID/SKU is called 1800s Network Sensor.  

Cisco Aironet 1800s Active Sensor Getting Started Guide

I would strongly recommend buying just a few units to try out before jumping into it.  

NOTE:  In 2019, I was told of a Catalyst 9100 Network Sensor meant to replace the 1800s but never materialized.  

Thanks @Leo Laohoo ,

I don't understand how Cat9k could replace the 1800 sensors, their size are different and the goal with the 1800 is to have them close to the end devices, so it's hard for me to understand how this replacement would take place. Do they use different approach then?

Gio

Sorry, I had in mind the Cat9k switches :-D, now it's clearer.

I don't understand how Cat9k could replace the 1800 sensors

1800s is a "network sensor" that can work both in wired and wireless.

Cat 9k is a family of switches and wireless access points.

They are 2 different products.  

Sorry Leo,

let me rephrase your statement "In 2019, I was told of a Catalyst 9k meant to replace the 1800s but never materialized.".

My understanding is that in 2019 you were told that 1800 sensors could be replaces by Catalyst 9k. I think you meant the AP 9k (9100 and the like), didn't you?
I guess the AP would entirely work in client mode. I guess the price would be different between a 1800 and AP Cat9k; also 1800's dimensions are suitable for the box to be positioned very close to end-devices, whereas Cat9k AP would be more difficult to be placed. I might be wrong though.

Thanks,

Gio

"In 2019, I was told of a Catalyst 9k meant to replace the 1800s but never materialized.".

Mea culpa.  Now I get what you mean. 

Let me start by saying that Cisco paid someone a king's ransom by renaming a lot of Cisco products.  Wireless APs and routers are now called "Catalyst" -- Just to make things "clear" in everyone's mind.  

What I was trying to say was, "In 2019, I was told of a Catalyst 9100 Network Sensor meant to replace the 1800s but never materialize."

Great, even clearer!

Thanks Leo!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card