cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving APs from Catalyst 3850 WLC to 5520 WLC

r.lundrigan
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have my APs terminated into 3850 Catalyst switches which run as Mobility Controllers. We purchased a 5520 WLC and I wanted to know if there is a way to move the APs over one by one to point to the new 5520 WLC. I ssh'd into the APs and set the primary-base controller to the 5520 and the secondary to the 3850 but that didn't seem to make a difference. Every time the AP reloads, it joins the 3850 controller. I know the controller works because I was able to point a separate AP to the 5520 that is terminated into a 3850 that is NOT running as a Mobility Controller. I set the primary controller to the IP of the 5520 and it joined with no issue. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

check you have added the AP to right AP group. If your WLAN ID is greater than 16, then you require AP group to advertise them

Pls mark this thread answered if you get it working.

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

I ssh'd into the APs and set the primary-base controller to the 5520 and the secondary to the 3850 but that didn't seem to make a difference. Every time the AP reloads, it joins the 3850 controller.

This is normal behavior.

If you want to do this, you have to change the vlan assigned to those AP on your switch. Change it to different vlan (that to wireless management), then your AP should be able to go & register to 5520 as long as you let AP know about 5520 IP (static config , DHCP option 43, DNS, etc)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

That worked but the WLANs don't appear to be available. 

check you have added the AP to right AP group. If your WLAN ID is greater than 16, then you require AP group to advertise them

Pls mark this thread answered if you get it working.

HTH

Rasika

That was it. Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card