cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving WLC5508 to Colo

JASON SIMMONS
Level 2
Level 2

Is there a guide or any documentation regarding hosting a 5508 or any physical WLC in a colo?

The Management IP and VLAN ID will change.  All of the APs connection to it will be in Flex Connect mode.  Do I need to worry about changing the IPs on the Dynamic interfaces?  Do I need to do anything in Cisco Prime?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You have to reconfigure the mobility group setting since the up address will change. This is not a big deal.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You need to plan this out as this is a big change. You will need to look at a few things:

AP switchports need to move from access to trunk
You should add the HA information on the AP to have your primary WLC the new controller name and your secondary your existing, so that ap’s will look for the new hostname/ip when you disconnect the existing
You can remove all the local dynamic interfaces sine you will be local switching at the site and not tunneling the traffic back
You will need to add the device back into Prime with the new IP address
Verify that your plans are setup correctly for local switching
Verify that your FlexConnect groups are defined with you vlans
If you have radius, you will need to add the new hostname and ip as a device
Make sure your polices doesn’t need to change in radius if using radius
Test flex connect on an AP on your existing controller first to make sure everything is working fine
-Scott

Thanks for the quick reply.  I totally forgot about RADIUS. 

Also TACACS and any SNMP tools you have.
-Scott

How do I get the controller to join/rejoin the mobility group?

We have 4 controllers. WLCs 1 & 2 are in one location and their management interfaces are on the same subnet. WLCs 3 & 4 are in another location and both of them are on the same subnet. I moved WLC2. WLC1 says the mobility status of WLC2 is up. WLCs 3 & 4 show it as down.

You have to reconfigure the mobility group setting since the up address will change. This is not a big deal.
-Scott

Do I just delete each member from all of the controllers and re-add them?  Is there something else I need to do?

@Scott Fella wrote:

Yes, that is what I do and is pretty quick.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card